Convert a barn stall to quail pen?

ChickiBoom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 23, 2012
North Dakota
My plan is to line a stall with 1/2 inch mesh top to bottom and then tuck it under the stall mats all around the bottom where the floor and walls meet. I would add straw to the floor to cover the mats. There is a door the goes outside where I'd like to add a big outdoor flight pen. Would I even need a flight pen if the stall is pretty big? I'm only looking at housing 60-100 Bobwhites in there. Does this sound like it would work?

It should be fine. Are the stall mats easy to clean? Because they can be pretty messy. And how big is the stall? You might not have to add a flight pen if it is large, but it would be a nice touch.

I'm not sure about the stall mats, they are made for horses to stand on, so they have to be fairly easy to clean or people wouldn't use them. They were left in the barn when we bought the place. I don't want to pull them up because the floor is wood underneath, and there are gaps big enough where small predators could get under the barn floor and up into the stall. The mats weigh 80+ pounds each, so I figure I'd just leave them. The stall is 10'x15' or so with a 12' roof. I want them to be good flyers, do you think that's enough room for them to get their exercise?

You can not keep that many Bobs in the space you are working with. Bobs need about 4 square feet per bird to prevent cannibalism and Bobs can be ferocious to each other. Especially during breeding season, they will tear each other up being so cramped in. In a 10x15 space you could keep about about 40 Bobs. If you chose to keep this many together allow them to co exist all together during breeding season you will see some blood. You could keep 40 juveniles together in this space with no problems however.

If you are looking to "flight train" them, than this is not enough space for 40 of them. They could get their "exercise" if you provided roosts in the ceiling and places half way up to fly to.

Last edited:
You can not keep that many Bobs in the space you are working with. Bobs need about 4 square feet per bird to prevent cannibalism and Bobs can be ferocious to each other. Especially during breeding season, they will tear each other up being so cramped in. In a 10x15 space you could keep about about 40 Bobs. If you chose to keep this many together allow them to co exist all together during breeding season you will see some blood. You could keep 40 juveniles together in this space with no problems however.

If you are looking to "flight train" them, than this is not enough space for 40 of them. They could get their "exercise" if you provided roosts in the ceiling and places half way up to fly to.
Yeah I second that. That wouldn't be enough space for that number of bobs. But if you added a large run then it should be fine.

OK, thanks! I will definitely plan on the outdoor run. The plan for that is about 25'x50'. I'm raising 60, but won't be keeping all of them, so I can get it under 40 without too much trouble.

Back
Top Bottom