convert box truck?

it is stationery. they`re locked in at night, free range in daytime, but that`s a good idea
You could be the chicken peddler. :D

So, in other words, you have an expensive chicken tractor if the truck still runs and you can drive it from one place to another. That would be very neat. Make sure to put windows on all four sides (covered with hardware cloth) with some kind of additional ventilation up high around the ceiling of the truck. I would think you could turn it into a very nice coop. Look into electric fencing to set up a safe perimeter around the truck if the birds will be free ranging out away from your house. If it’s going to be in an open field you might look at getting some easily moveable things that the birds could hide under, other than the truck, to hide from aerial preds. I really can’t think of anything negative about it. I think we need to definitely see pictures once it’s completed though.

Oh, and Welcome to the Chicken Club! :frow This is the place to be! You will learn more and laugh more than you ever thought possible!
Oh, and just so you know, BYC loves pictures, lots of pictures, but we love stories too.

anyone convert a box truck to chicken coop? pros, cons please? thx,c
What do you mean by a "box truck"?
I would guess taht adding an overhanging roof to protect ventilation openings would be the biggest challenge....but...
Pics, please?

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @charlesizzo
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-11-27_16-11-59.png

coop1.JPG
bird tree.jpg
I`m in Monroe, NY, the Hudson Valley. Schunnemunk Mt. w/8600 acres adjoining my 1+ acre property. 1100 ft elevation. This was a month ago. i`ve since added a 8 x 14 x6` high run. and other amenities. it`s a process, there`s lots of perches now and awnings over the vents. Oh, and they love ranging around the property, perching in trees in daytime.
coop6.jpg
coop5.jpg
coop4.jpg
coop3.jpg
coop2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like there's a bit of a lip around the roof, so that might help.
Not sure you have enough ventilation tho.
That top roost is too close to the roof.
The metal roof is gonna get cold and may gather condensation...
....even if you had enough ventilation

Back
Top Bottom