Convert old chicken run into garden beds

Elbent

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2022
Hi all, there was an old post about this, but it didn't have much info. We recently moved the chickens to another area and there is a large area of mud and manure (some wood chips) that I would like to convert to garden beds for next year. What can I do now to prep the beds for next year? Is it possible? Thanks.

Wow, should be a great garden next year!
I have done this. I just rototiller it good the next spring and planted.
I use tarps to keep weeds under control.
And you will likely get weeds
Tarps and garden fabric are my choice as I dont use chemicals for anything. No herbicides, no man made fertilizers, no pesticides. It's all natural for me.
Others will have recommendations per their expierence.
Good Luck!

Yes. Do it!

However, mud? Hmmm…if there is drainage issues figure those things out first. Depending on the issue or the terrain, your solution will vary. At the minimum, you might want raised beds. But, if you figure out the water issue, you may be able to do in-ground planting.

The manure needs to decompose or else the ground may be a bit too hot with nitrogen for planting. Since the ground will have 6 months (?) to age/decompose, that shouldn’t be a big issue for the success of your garden.

Put a bunch of leaves there, mix it in. Like the others said it should be ok, you may need to add potassium to the area if you're planning to do fruit bearing veggie plants. It would be great for greens and corn.

Agree with the advice from others, and think that a former chicken run will make a great garden.

Only thing I'd add is that you may consider a soil test as the weather warms in the spring. That will let you know if you need to adjust anything, or may even suggest the best plants to start with.

Back
Top Bottom