Convert old shed, or build from scratch?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by From the North, Jan 25, 2013.

1. From the North

From the North Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    My other option is to convert a run down old shed into my first coop. Is this more of a hassle than it's worth?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    MMM. I think that it would depend on both your time as well as finances you want to put in the project. If the old shed is worthy of rehab, as a recycler, I would say go that route, But if it is structurally unsound or even dangerous to work on, I'd probably back away from it! Hope this is helpful! and good luck!

3. EggsBeesSeeds

EggsBeesSeeds Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    I converted an old shed of mine into a coop. I didn't try and rehab the shed (it was a disaster) but the wood was all good so I completely tore down the shed and used the parts to create the coop. The only things I purchased were the PT lumber 4x4s (for the coop to be raised and I needed to build retaining walls because it is on a hill), the chicken wire and some screws. The rest is from the shed (plywood, 2x4s, roofing material, etc).

Here is a before pic of the "shed":

[​IMG]

And here is the "Poultry Palace" after:

[​IMG]

If you can salvage lumber/plywood/nails/screws/anything from that shed do it! It saved me so much money! Plus the satisfaction that came with dismantling the eyesore that was in my back yard was priceless.

4. Chipper

Chipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Washington County, NY
    A lot of it depends on how far gone the old shed is.In my case,every time I build a new shed,it ends up becoming the new chicken coop anyway.Oh well,one of these days. lol

5. BlackwaterBirds

BlackwaterBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Southwest Va
    My first coop started out as a tree house for my wife when she was a small child. It got lowered to the ground and used as a play house by the rest of her family. After no one was playing in it anymore I decided to convert it to a coop. It was build by her grandfather back in the day. I don't think a Sherman Tank could bring it apart. WE started looking at other building he had built and are getting ready to refurbish them as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by