Converting a garage

WildBills

Hatching
Oct 24, 2015
I have been toying with the idea of going and buying about 250 or so Rhode Island Reds to sell eggs, chicks, and possibly meat. I have a few questions. I am considering on converting an old two car garage and an 8x8 shed on my property into the coops and fencing in roughly half an acre of ground. The garage and the shed both have 8' high ceilings, how high can I build the nesting boxes and the chickens still use them? How high of a fence should I use to fence in the yard? Also, any and all advice, thoughts, and opinions will be greatly appreciated. I live in PA, about an hour north of Pittsburgh, I was thinking it would probably be a good idea to heat the garage in the winter time. I have been in contact with local resturants and small stores, I'm hoping to be able to produce about 100-140 dozen eggs per week. Thank you in advance for any and all information.

I see you have another thread about this https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037257/garage-conversion

But looks like this one is just about roosts and fence.

Roosts should be higher than nests or they will sleep and poop in nests...especially with the crowded population you plan.
What are you going to do when the snow piles up?
They may not want to be out there, and stay in the coop.

Fence 6 feet might work, depends, would be a good place to start.
You might have to add on with some floppy chicken wire if you have them gong over.

Back
Top Bottom