Converting a Metal Shed into a Coop?

mylilchix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Front Range, Colorado
I need to build a second coop so we can get more chickens. I've been looking at all of my options. I'm wondering if anyone has converted a metal shed into coop and how you did it?

Thanks,
Sonja

Hello One of my daughters classmates(parents) that lives in the city uses a metal garden shed as a coop...all I know is that they line the walls with bales of straw during the winter...I think they have 6 hens...

I think it would be a good idea...to use a metal shed....hm? Now you have me thinking?HM??

I wonder if you could line the ceiling with styrafoam and then pylwood for insulation...? add a pop door? hm?....add some heavy duty fencing at the door way for summer time ventalation ..
I am going to keep an eye on this thread....

Last edited:
we recently decided to take the plunge and backyard chicken. We have an old metal shed that we never used as it was filled with junk from previous owners.
we emptied the shed.
THE SHED: We removed 3 side panels on the north side of the shed and one off the south. We removed the metal doors and made new doors, framed them out w wood and all of the "holes" were covered with heavy farmers mesh wire- screen, not sure what it's really called.
We framed all of the panel holes with trim, securing the mesh for safety of our birds. We also had to secure the bottom of the shed to deter anything from digging under to get at the girls.

NESTERS: I retrieved an old set of cabinets from a neighbors curb for our nesting boxes. this cabinet set has 4 doors. I removed 2 and in between I used heavy wire mesh between the unused cabinets to make the nesting boxes smaller. I used pieces of the removed doors to trim the nesters to make the entry smaller for them to be all comfy in.
Total size of each box is 12 in deep 12 in wide and 10 in tall with a one inch frame.

Roost/ perch: currently I have a crib rail laying up against the shed wall that they adore. I took out 5 rods, every ft or so.

RUN/ YARD: We have a smaller fenced in yard that they free range in and we just call them in at night and let them out at dawn.

That's what I'm wondering. I've found new shed for around $300, so I could get a big enough one to fit everyone with room to spare. I'd love some advice on how to insulate it and add windows and a pop door.

Sonja

Hi, I bought a 8x10 metal shed at Home Depot, 2 years ago it was on sale for $200 my DH put in 3 vents one on each wall and a vent that has a cover over it on the roof, (it has a screen type cover then a top on it) it looks like a chimney(sort of) I know I am not explaining it very well. In the winter we cover them with plastic and I just stuff a cloth in the roof one, from the inside. I leave the door partically closed in the winter and in the summer I leave it open and at night I close in the winter and my DH made a door that I put in the doorway that is covered in hardward cloth, that way they can get more air. It is hot even at night in Alabama. It is one of those buildings that you put together. We put a plywood floor and use shavings. It has worked great. We have not lost a chick. We also have a large covered run in front of the shed.

Silverduck did your hubby use a sawzall to put the venting in? I'm just wondering how we can cut into the metal to make additions. I also have to figure out how to insulate. Our existing coop was insulated to protect the flock from CO winters. So far it stays about 10 degrees warmer than the outside temp, but it's been a very mild winter. I have to figure we'll get slammed next winter.

Sonja

DSCN0021.jpg

coop

DSCN0015.jpg

showing door to run

If we had to do it over again we would not get the metal shed.
We would have bought wood and done it that way. Or found a place to get wooden pallets and built one that way.

It was relatively easy to out together in one weekend. It is kind of easy to drill through attach things. Like the run and the roost etc. Cutting the metal for the "window" and vents was a pain in the butt.
The sliding door only opens on one side. And event hat gets stuck and needs to be taken down so that the "runner" can be cleaned of shavings, snow, dirt, debris.

Right now we are planning on making plans for something else and the metal shed will be used for storage

My neighbor has one. He had to move them out in the summer it gets to hot and the winter you really have to insulate like crazy. I think the idea of hay insulation is great but here the heat takes over in the summer and there is no way to lesson it where he is. It becomes an oven.
I built a wooden one and that works better. I will also add more ventilation when summer comes. If you get one do as the other person said cut lots of ventalation areas and shade if possible. jean

Quote:
The sawzall vibrates the metal a lot. We gave up on that quickly and used metal shears.
Only way we have thought to insulate is to use plywood and put up braces . There for drilling and screwing twice. Once into the metal wall and the next with the plywood. We were going to use either the Styrofoam or the stuff you can use around pipes. The Styrofoam boards we have up now keep falling and we tried both gorilla glue and aluminum weather tape.

Problem with shade. We have it under some big trees. PLenty of shade. But we had an ice storm that took down some big branches. One landed on the corner of the coop. Smashed it pretty good. Popped the seams and crushed the roof. I think that if it had been a wooden structure the corner post would have held up and there would have been less damage.

The metal shed also turns into a fridge. It's harder to keep warm as the metal just acts as a conduit for the cold, same as with heat. Right now was are in the negatives and the temp in the shed was lower than the outside temp. My girls have been in my basement for several days now and will be until the snap ends. Sunday?
hmm.png

Last edited:
My DH used tin snips to cut the metal, after he marked where the vent was to be, he drilled it first with a 1 inch drill bit then he cut. It wasn't too bad. The track does get shavings in it and has to be cleaned out regularly. If I lived north of Alabama I wouldn't use a metal shed. We planted pole beans on the run last year to shade the run, worked out great and we got to eat beans and of course the chickens ate what they could reach.LOL

Back
Top Bottom