Converting a metal storage shed.

Idaho Chicken Bungalow

Crossing the Road
Jul 23, 2021
Southern Idaho
I have a nice metal shed I'd like some ideas converting for winter then doing the big repairs in the spring. It's just me a girl with no idea what I'm doing. Current run on the right. 11 pullets age 7 weeks 9 weeks and 21 weeks.

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 243801029_383330736599036_2545707889229070395_n.jpg
    243801029_383330736599036_2545707889229070395_n.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 243770189_839708946744173_7527991115831988537_n.jpg
    243770189_839708946744173_7527991115831988537_n.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 9
Lots of folks on BYC have converted metal sheds with great results! I have not, but I can make a couple of suggestions:
  • You will need to fix the doors so that they stay closed. It could be as easy as adding a couple of hasps and locks
  • You will also need lots of ventilation up high covered in hardware cloth. I'm thinking you could attach the HC by sandwiching it between wood, making a sort of frame
  • Make sure there are no sharp edges down low where your birds might come into contact with them

The hard part with this shed will be getting adequate ventilation -- 1 square foot per adult standard-sized hen, best located above the birds heads when sitting on the roost.

In my climate I'd just take the doors off and replace them with wire then add venting on the other end at the gable and install an awning of some sort over it. But I don't think that will fly for your area.

Maybe replacing the gables on both ends with wire and putting in awnings?

One of the problems with poor ventilation in a metal shed would be condensation dripping on the birds, so figuring that out will be critical. :)

You're so right. I guess they will all have to be cozy in the run at night an roam the yard in the day. My son said he wouldn't help me because he said not to get the chickens. UMMMM he never told me that. 29 year old spoiled man. I'm at a loss here.
Thank you all for your educated and experienced advice.

You're so right. I guess they will all have to be cozy in the run at night an roam the yard in the day. My son said he wouldn't help me because he said not to get the chickens. UMMMM he never told me that. 29 year old spoiled man. I'm at a loss here.
Gurl, you can do it! Cut some holes at the top of the walls and cover them with hardware cloth. It'll be a pain in the you-know-what, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

How about this idea, I hope you’ll be able to follow, lol, take off one of the doors and replace with hardware cloth (or if you can cut one door in half? And put hardware cloth just on the upper half). Put a metal rod the length of the door to secure the hardware cloth to and give the door something to latch to. That should give good air circulatio, but it’s not like the air where you are is all that humid anyway.

Are you planning on putting the new run on that side of the door?

For condensation, an easy fix is a moisture barrier on your ceiling. Viola! No more drips. Check with Lowe's, Home Depot, or whatever DIY store in your neighborhood. Go into the store and speak with an employee. Most are fountains of information and help. Idaho Chicken Bungalow has the right idea for ventilation. Please don't say you're just a girl! We passed that statement back in the 70s! You can do this! It's not that daunting. Heck, I'm almost 70 years old, a two-time cancer survivor, and built my own 20x10 coop, and my own 20x10 dog kennel! You can do this! You can make your own doors that sit square, and close tight for security. Do a DIY coop ideas search. There are lots of ideas, tips, hints, and support available! Come on, woman, you can do this! Post us pics, please!

That's not an easy job. You can cut the metal with an angle grinder, a saber saw with metal blade or a reciprocating saws-all tool. I would cut the left side, right side and bottom of a rectangle in the gable and then bend the metal up to create an awning.

Drill holes and attach hardware cloth with nuts and bolts. You will need fewer holes if you sandwich the wire between wood battens and the metal wall or gable.

Removing a door and covering the opening with hardware cloth might be easier but you will need to install a wood upright to attach the wire to.

I'd wait to see if there is condensation before dealing with that.

There are going to be a lot of sharp edges and poky wire edges to deal with.

Tell your son to call me. We have kids that age and know how to deal with his kind.

Last edited:
That's not an easy job. You can cut the metal with an angle grinder, a saber saw with metal blade or a reciprocating saws-all tool.

I found metal surprisingly easy to work with.

This is the best tool for cutting either the sheet metal or the hardware cloth. VERY much worth the investment.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-ga...-61737.html?_br_psugg_q=electric+metal+shears

1638798470043.png

But don't buy the other shears with the more ergonomic design. They take out a kerf and would salt your coop with tiny bits of metal that the chickens might eat.

Back
Top Bottom