Converting a plastic dog crate into a coop.

Sabaroonie

Hatching
7 Years
May 22, 2012
I just discovered today that I am allowed chickens, so, of course, now I want some. I can't afford any of the gorgeous coops I've found on google...and decided to recycle myself one.

I have a pet carrier (the kind with the metal gate/door) that I don't use anymore. I want to use it to convert to a coop. Will this keep my hens warm enough (I live in Nebraska) during the winter? Is there any danger by using plastic?

Hi Sabaroonie,

Welcome to BYC forum.

I don't think that a pet carrier like you are describing would be the most comfy housing for a Nebraska winter---but winter is a long time from now.

If you use the pet carrier, and winter comes...perhaps you could get something like wonderful duct-tape, styrofoam cut to fit the sides and wrap it in a tarp---- Then your chickens would have an insulated space to spend the winter...... Now exactly what to do about the metal gate/door to keep the cold winds out---that would be another challenge.

Keep investigating -- and searching here...you may get some excellent ideas from the BYC folks. Maybe too some fellow-Nebraskans can give you ideas about how they keep their chickens healthy over the winter months. My problem is not winter, but the summer's heat. I put a thermometer on the coop's run today and it registered 102. Ick.

You will be so happy you decided to get chickens...

BTW, there was an article in one of the magazines about converting a plastic dog-house to a chicken coop. If I can find the link, I will come back and post it---

Last edited:
Hi Sabaroonie,

Welcome to BYC forum.

I don't think that a pet carrier like you are describing would be the most comfy housing for a Nebraska winter---but winter is a long time from now.

If you use the pet carrier, and winter comes...perhaps you could get something like wonderful duct-tape, styrofoam cut to fit the sides and wrap it in a tarp---- Then your chickens would have an insulated space to spend the winter...... Now exactly what to do about the metal gate/door to keep the cold winds out---that would be another challenge.

Keep investigating -- and searching here...you may get some excellent ideas from the BYC folks. Maybe too some fellow-Nebraskans can give you ideas about how they keep their chickens healthy over the winter months. My problem is not winter, but the summer's heat. I put a thermometer on the coop's run today and it registered 102. Ick.

You will be so happy you decided to get chickens...

BTW, there was an article in one of the magazines about converting a plastic dog-house to a chicken coop. If I can find the link, I will come back and post it---

If you keep your eyes open you may find one of those barn style plastic dog houses on CraigsList...or someone just wanting to get rid of one...they also are in WalMart and the Box stores like Home Depot and Lowe's, Tractor Supply I think. Whoops -- double post, sorry.

Last edited:
Its not that expensive to build a small coop. Lots of good ideas all over the net and right here on BYC. I agree that a pet carrier will probably not be very good when it starts getting cold. They arent built for outside use I dont think. I built the ones I had for very little money and they held 6-8 hens each. I split 2x4's to make 2x2's and used those to built it. Cut the cost in half. I also used wheels and axle from old lawnmowers so I could tractor it around. Recycling is always a good idea. :) Good Luck..

Here is a link to the dog-house coop plans:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/2007-04-01/Portable-Chicken-Mini-coop-Plan.aspx

And here is a link to the image gallery that shows more:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/multimedia/image-gallery.aspx?id=112440&seq=0

that being said, I did put plastic around a pet carrier and offered one of our dogs winter-time housing in it -- she wasn't too interested, we only get occasional freezes here, and our dogs are entirely out-door dogs.

I also used the same pet carrier for a broody house---so you can see a chicken inside the carrier...at least the size that we have:
Here's how to see it-->Go to my signature at the bottom of this post, click on the bottom link 'blog ---> "jottings" check out the photo by scrolling down to 2012-05-12. Depending upon your chicken...this photo is Lily - an Ideal 236, which is a white leghorn hybrid--so a fairly small bird. Depending upon your chicken(s) it would be a tight squeeze I think.

Coop cleaning was difficult in this arrangement.... Maybe it can give you an idea about the 'fit. Good luck with what you decide.

Back
Top Bottom