Converting a shed into a coop, anything I need to know about?

As a newbie here, I just found this thread and I want to do something similar... 10x12 shed and I want to basically split it down the middle with a wall and a door, plan to cut some vents in the triangles under the roof on each end. (Only have the one shed in our 1/6 acre backyard and still need a place to store the lawnmower, suitcases, Christmas tree, decorations, etc.)

So, my shed has double doors that open facing North, towards the house, and currently has about a 2'x2' window on each end (East and West), no windows on the South wall. I was thinking to go ahead and insulate the walls and put up plywood inside since it has 2x4 studs, and put screened openings on each end underneath the triangle of the rafters. on the East wall I'll cut a door to install a ramp out, and was going to have a people door inside the shed to be able to shut the outer door when I needed to get in to clean it out and not have to worry about escapees.

One question I have is how tall do I need to make the coop? The peak inside is about 9'6", maybe 7'6" or 8' at the walls. Is it okay to make the coop say 7' tall so we can put light but bulky items on top of it for storage if I make sure to provide extra support for the cross beams holding up their ceiling? (Christmas tree, wrapping paper totes, etc) Maybe I could make the ceiling out of some pallets and screen one side with the 1/2" hardware cloth to keep out critters who might want to climb up and in...

The wife gave me approval to modify our shed tonight, since it's mainly just storage and we don't keep all that much of import in there anyway. It's maybe 100' more or less off our back deck, so I am thinking to put a solar panel on the back side of it's roof, putting in a battery and a 12V system to be able to run a light, heatpad for a water dish, and maybe a fan.

Any thoughts on things I've missed (not including that I plan to build some shelves, a workbench/potting table, etc in the other 6x10' half...

Hi,
I converted a shed to a coop. We made the ceilings 7 feet and have space on top of it, I'll tell you right now you won't be storing anything in there that you don't want covered in a fine dust.

I even store my broody buster pens and heaters in another building because chicken dander is like dry wall dust... it's EVERYWHERE ☹️

After reading your post again I had a idea!!
Can you make your storage area a separate door from the coop?
Also you want to stand comfortably in a coop even with light bulbs , heaters or feeders hanging from the ceiling.

Back
Top Bottom