Converting an Aluminum Shed Into a Coop?

LizD360

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Sanford, FL
Help! I recently found a small (5x5x5) aluminum shed on Craigs List. It has a wooden frame on the inside. I'm just worried about ventilation and light. Can you add windows/vents to an aluminum shed? I will be lifting it up off the ground for ventilation and shade. I live in Central Florida so I will need to try to keep my chicks as cool as possible. Any advice?

Last edited:
Yes, you can, although it is annoying b/c obviously you have to cut through the metal skin to do it. Just cut holes (avoiding any structural elements!), screw wood framing to them to stiffen them and protect vs sharp edges, and there ya go.

It is likely to get *awfully* hot in there unless you can put it in the shade, though.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

We did this with no problem, however, we are in WI. We converted our old ice shanty into our coop, we did put windows and put it up on cement blocks. So far, so good. We added a metal "lean to" off the outside too. Good luck......

We have a huge metal shed outbuilding in our back property. It has a dirt floor though. I've thought about using it but it would be alot of work and now dh is talking about that being his 'new' workshop grrrr! I know I will have to let him have it since he has built me so many coops and been so cool about my chicken fetish LOL!

Thank for all the great ideas! I just wasn't sure how to get started. I'll post some pics as soon as we get started.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom