Converting an Old Shed

Getting close! Finally starting to feel like the end is in sight. Predator proofing is done on the ventillation. Hopefully just the following steps left:
  • Put OSB over the floor (better surface for attaching the vinyl and minimizes gaps)
  • Put down the vinyl (just picked it up today)
  • Some extra latches top and bottom of the big doors to anchor them to the door frame since those two doors are getting pulled on quite hard by wind gusts.
  • HWC over the large glass/plexiglass windows for chicken safety.
  • Install auto-door. At that point it will be safe as a sleeping place for chickens.
  • New coat of paint on exterior
  • "Chunnel" to connect the auto door to the run (the last complicated thing to build)
  • Figure out nest boxes and roosts that aren't too high for my larger hens. I've kind of been putting that off and need to get on it.

Where the interior's at tonight.
IMG_20231023_181423__01.jpg

Just...um...ignore those ugly paint dribbles I caused on the auto door opening lol.

Auto-door installed. Chunnel will be built around it.
IMG_20231024_160836s.jpg

OSB is down on the shed floor. Almost ready for linoleum. A couple more fairly small tweaks and it will be ready for chickens to sleep in even if not hooked up to the run yet. Mr. Monster inspecting the work...
IMG_20231024_161630s.jpg

Floor done and Monster approved. Door spring bolts also done but couldn't get a good photo of those. Makes the big doors a lot sturdier.
IMG_20231026_173004.jpg

Didn't get to the HWC on the windows...sliced my hand up too much cutting the vinyl tile. You may say, hey - stop doing stupid stuff with the cutting tools! But no, I actually cut myself on the tiles themselves. And no, not the upper side or even the cut side surface where you might expect a sharp edge if one was going to be there...I sliced my fingers on the glue-side edge. I don't know how that was possible either, but my hand is going to be unhappy for a bit. I did check to make sure edges exposed to the chickens can't cut like that. It's something about the glue side...

Will try to get to the HWC over the windows tomorrow. In a bit of a rush because it might be the last of the nice weather before it starts to feel like winter.

(insert rage noises here)
IMG_20231027_111551.jpg

Any place even a little gleam of sun touched the wall, it knocked the edge tiles right off. I expected the bond to be less formidable on the wall than on the horizontal floor tiles and maybe to need to add some fasteners later, but the fact that they grabbed well in the shade initially and then just pop completely free when warmed a little is pretty annoying. Not even a trace of ahesive left or any bits of wood pulled free - it was like I hadn't even pushed them on. Tried to fix with staples. Staples don't work because the OSB bounces them. Tried with nails. Nails crack the tiles. Finally pre-drilled and used screws. Ran out of screws and had to go get more.

Did manage to HWC the old glass windows. Also managed to HWC my face for the first time. Taking a break now.

First and last time the new floor will ever be this clean...will be picking up bunch of shavings bags tomorrow.
IMG_20231027_175937s.jpg

HWC over the old glass wall windows.
IMG_20231027_175949s.jpg

Still need to HWC the plexiglass door windows (since I don't want anybody flying up and smacking the plexiglass thinking it's a way out), but the structure is now officially in use tonight as a chicken sleeping area for two sub-flocks of youngsters in their own mini enclosures that I moved into it to get them out of the house. There are 6 pullets in a mini cube enclosure I made a while back and 3 cockerels in a dog crate. Ultimately the pullets will go to my main flock and the cockerels to a bachelor flock living in my old setup (but the main flock is still occupying that).

(insert rage noises here)
View attachment 3669512
Any place even a little gleam of sun touched the wall, it knocked the edge tiles right off. I expected the bond to be less formidable on the wall than on the horizontal floor tiles and maybe to need to add some fasteners later, but the fact that they grabbed well in the shade initially and then just pop completely free when warmed a little is pretty annoying. Not even a trace of ahesive left or any bits of wood pulled free - it was like I hadn't even pushed them on. Tried to fix with staples. Staples don't work because the OSB bounces them. Tried with nails. Nails crack the tiles. Finally pre-drilled and used screws. Ran out of screws and had to go get more.

Did manage to HWC the old glass windows. Also managed to HWC my face for the first time. Taking a break now.
Can I ask what brand/model of tile? Cause I got a couple boxes that looks similarish to the box I can kinda see in the pics....

Does not bode well for the floor tiles.
I tried prying at one of the flat tiles after seeing the ones that fell off, but they seem stuck tight (for now anyway). I guess the adhesive needs gravity going for it - maybe good for that kind of strain but not a shear force like a tile on a wall trying to slump downwards. However, it's something I will keep checking periodically for the flat tiles even after the shavings go in.

Can I ask what brand/model of tile? Cause I got a couple boxes that looks similarish to the box I can kinda see in the pics....
It was these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traffic...l-Tile-Flooring-20-sqft-case-SS2018/206403289

Back
Top Bottom