Converting coop to duck house

I have five hens and one drake. The advantages are fertile eggs I can hatch, and protection, my drake will stand in front of his girls and he usually makes them calmer. My favorite ducklings always seem to end up being drakes. Maybe they endear themselves to us so we keep them around. Disadvantages, he picks on certain girls, especially in the spring. This lands him in drake jail (he stays in the pen) for a length of time and is a pain.

I really like my little Webster. He is still young having hatched on 4-1-2020....lol an April fools flock was a fun start for me.

Mine are Welsh Harlequins and so far my drake has not been a jerk.
That’s awesome! I hope if I end up with a drake he’s a nice guy also. Got a pic?

I have five hens and one drake. The advantages are fertile eggs I can hatch, and protection, my drake will stand in front of his girls and he usually makes them calmer. My favorite ducklings always seem to end up being drakes. Maybe they endear themselves to us so we keep them around. Disadvantages, he picks on certain girls, especially in the spring. This lands him in drake jail (he stays in the pen) for a length of time and is a pain.
I’ve read that’s the ratio but I’ve also read up to twelve ducks per drake, that’s just insane!
I’m familiar with jail, my rooster is need up in there a couple of times lol.
Personally I enjoyed the drakes. We had Swedish males and Swedish and pekins females. But definately get lots of ducks if you want drakes. Ours (again didn't know they had ratios to help) always looked poorly by the end of summer
I just don’t know how many ducks I actually want to keep. I don’t want to mix types, I’d like to stick with Runners only, and hatching would be fun, but it wouldn’t really be all that often.

That’s awesome! I hope if I end up with a drake he’s a nice guy also. Got a pic?

Absolutely! Of course they are blurry cause ducks (like chickens) won't hold still. :rolleyes:

IMG_20200710_065416.jpg
Forgive the "poop deck" I hose it once the pool is full.

IMG_20201014_110141.jpg

I ordered through Cackle. I only wanted one drake so paid the extra for sexed ducklings. I have 6 ducks and one drake.

Absolutely! Of course they are blurry cause ducks (like chickens) won't hold still. :rolleyes:

View attachment 2387181
Forgive the "poop deck" I hose it once the pool is full.

View attachment 2387183

I ordered through Cackle. I only wanted one drake so paid the extra for sexed ducklings. I have 6 ducks and one drake.
Awe, beautiful babies! nice place for them too. No worries on the poop deck, I’m sure I’ll get my share of that.
I’m still debating about what to do for water. There are a couple of places in the yard that pools would work but can’t get pools right now.

Awe, beautiful babies! nice place for them too. No worries on the poop deck, I’m sure I’ll get my share of that.
I’m still debating about what to do for water. There are a couple of places in the yard that pools would work but can’t get pools right now.

Thanks! I think they are pretty too.....but I am a bit biased.

Mine is a 50 gallon stock tank with a ball valve at the drain port and pvc pipe directing water away. The deck was to keep anyone freaking out and popping out of the pool from having a hard landing. Well....and to cut down on muck around the pool. You hey splash an astounding amount out when bathing.

Back
Top Bottom