dlaciv12

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 12, 2008
Brockton, MA
So here is my existing shed...

18382_shed_001.jpg

18382_shed_002.jpg

The inside floor space measures about 130 sq ft (11.5 x 11.5) and over 6 ft tall along the center. It is full of crap right now but after we move it all we would like to convert it to a coop for about 10 egg layers.

Here's the messy inside...

18382_shed_005.jpg

18382_shed_004.jpg

18382_shed_003.jpg

The floors are plywood and the frame below is bolted into a cement slab (as best I an tell.) The front faces west and those windows are pretty small. It currently houses our lawnmower and a bunch of other stuff. The previous owners kept it much cleaner than we do but they did build a motorcycle in it. I am hoping the lawnmower and motorcycle haven't left any toxins (leaking gas/oil/transmission fluid etc...)

So my questions is "Is it doable?" any reason I shouldn't? There are vents on either side but I am sure I would need to add some ventilation. I am in south eastern Mass. so winters are cold and summers are hot and humid (90 degrees/90% humidity is not uncommon). There is a spot on the floor that could be gas or oil, but I would probably throw down some cheap linoleum if that will take care of the problem (if it is a problem).

Another question is if I plan on using the deep litter method how deep will it be? I am not going to add nesting boxes to the out side; they would be elevated off the floor inside so how high would I put them? and the pop door? and should I put a low wall at people the door way to hold it all in? I was thinking of putting the pop door IN the people door and surrounding the shed/coop with the run. Is that OK? will I be able to walk in on the litter to collect the eggs?

OK, that only scrapes the surface so please answer what you can and make any suggestions. If you live somewhere in south eastern Mass. and feel like getting involved with a newbie's project feel free to PM me.

Here's a wider shot and you can see a lot of the back yard, over 5000 sq ft. We had our wedding in the back yard and fit a 60X40 tent with plenty of room to spare (107 guests including 20+ kids!).

18382_shed_006.jpg

Thanks for the help!
Dave

That's a perfect shed for chickens, I think , it is the best if you cover the floor with some plywood and thn put the plastic cover on it just to be on the safe side, deep litter is good you need about 4" of shaving, nest boxes about 18" to 24" above the ground, ( all what you really need about 3 boxes for 10 hens, run around this shed will be very good and the door you can install it where you said, it will work.
You need more ventilation, ( I suggest to read more about ventilation, by reading the webpage of Patandthechicken BYC member, she has te best info about this subject.)

Good luck

and if I can help any other way let me know, I am not that smart, I just try to do my best.

Omran.

This should make a great coop. Hide the electrical cable so no chickens peck at it. Increase the ventilation. Add the linoleum (I like the idea of putting another layer of plywood down first). Deep litter will end up being around 12" deep if done properly. Good luck with the project!

Don't forget to put boxes over the electrical outlets.

Here is the best part: you will already have room to expand and get more chickens if you want to!!!
wink.png
hee hee hee.... I gotta say, I am TOTALLY envious you have such a nice, ready made, coop. I just wish it were that easy to have a coop for the chickens!!!

Back
Top Bottom