Converting my Shed to a Coop : baby steps

Golden2

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2016
Polk County, Oregon
So in my intro post the wife and girls want to try their hand at raising chickens (and I'm OK with this), we toyed with buying one of those little pre-built coops, building one, OR converting our old, sad shed into one. The shed is old, 8x10, build by the previous owners, down near the creek, almost on the ground and has some issues.

Now being brand new to this other than spending several hours searching for other shed conversions, it should be totally doable.

Attached are some pics of the shed and my MS Paint skills on what the layout might look like (totally open to suggestions)

We are only planning to get 4 birds, one for each of us, what kind is still to be determined.

The shed will get several vents for air flow on both ends, I'd like to replace the siding with new T1-11 or similar since its really old and rotting.

I'll build nesting boxes (2x4s and plywood), 2x4s for the roosting bar. Will get the girls to help painting the inside of the coop walls, boxes, etc. Pop door will go though the side under the window or next to the front door where the little doggy door was, maybe? Thinking I'll line the floor with 6mil poly sheeting to try to keep the floor from rotting out under any dropping.

So going to hit the discount lumber shop for lumber/plywood and siding this week, would ultimately like to get the whole shed up on 4x6s to get more air flow and gravel under it but not sure how to go about that one.

SO with this said, and the pics, Comments, Concerns, Criticisms... open to all of them.

Chris

Last edited:
Yeah, shed conversion looks totally doable!

A lot of people coat their floors and maybe 12" up the walls with Black Jack 57, a roofing coating. Given how chickens like to scratch, I am thinking yourvplatic idea won't work really well.

Roosts should be about a foot higher than the nesting boxes. You will definitely have plenty of room for 4, even if they have to stay inside the coop for a few days at a time.

Are the structural members intact?
Roof leaking?

Raising it would be a good idea, keep any rodents from setting up house under there....
....but keep in mind, unless you fence it off the birds can get under and you might need to get under there too.

Yeah, shed conversion looks totally doable!

A lot of people coat their floors and maybe 12" up the walls with Black Jack 57, a roofing coating. Given how chickens like to scratch, I am thinking yourvplatic idea won't work really well.

Thanks . I found lots and lots on the Blackjack coating, what I've read everyone likes it, I think I'll end up going in that direction. Although it may take a while for it to warm up enough to allow it to cure with out running heat lamps/spots out there.

Roosts should be about a foot higher than the nesting boxes. You will definitely have plenty of room for 4, even if they have to stay inside the coop for a few days at a time.

Raise the Roosts . may move my boxes to a side wall and put roosts at the back end of the shed to get them a little higher..

Are the structural members intact?
Roof leaking?

Raising it would be a good idea, keep any rodents from setting up house under there....
....but keep in mind, unless you fence it off the birds can get under and you might need to get under there too.

Yeah, aside from the siding, its still in pretty good shape, the front left side of the roof took a hit from a branch in the past so it is leaking a little, shed/coop it will get new siding, and I 'think' i'll repair the roof.

studs are solid, floor right at the door is a little soft, but I really think its due to being way to close to the ground. This is why I want to get it raised a little. It wont be easy as its only on 8' joists that run side to side. Have to figure a way to lift/tilt the sides and slide a 4x6 under them as skids.

I would seriously consider replacing the roof....all that moss on there means it's probably water logged.
You could also change the roof line, making of nice overhangs with open eaves for superior ventilation.

studs are solid, floor right at the door is a little soft, but I really think its due to being way to close to the ground.  This is why I want to get it raised a little.  It wont be easy as its only on 8' joists that run side to side.  Have to figure a way to lift/tilt the sides and slide a 4x6 under them as skids.

I've lifted many sheds with the use of a pair of farm jacks. If you have a harbor freight or northern tool near you they sell them fairly inexpensively. I just slowly jack up one side at a time and use 4x4 fence posts, or railroad ties, cut to 12" lengths to place under as cribbing. Then move the jacks to the opposite side and jack that up and place cribbing on that side as well. Then build your new subframe and remove the cribbing and lower it onto it's new base. Remember never go under while it's only being held by the jacks. Always use the cribbing for safety.

Last edited:
I've lifted many sheds with the use of a pair of farm jacks. If you have a harbor freight or northern tool near you they sell them fairly inexpensively. I just slowly jack up one side at a time and use 4x4 fence posts, or railroad ties, cut to 12" lengths to place under as cribbing. Then move the jacks to the opposite side and jack that up and place cribbing on that side as well. Then build your new subframe and remove the cribbing and lower it onto it's new base. Remember never go under while it's only being held by the jacks. Always use the cribbing for safety.

ding , ding , ding

used a 2x4x10 , nailed/screwed to the 4x4 joists and slowly started to life it up, slid new 4x4s under it, worked like a charm. Wish I had gone 6x6 but had the 4x's in the shop.. Maybe when it dries out this summer I get some concrete pavers to lift it a little more.

Had the day off, it didnt rain and got some work done.

Hit the discount building supply shop, got some 1/2" T111 unprimed :( , 1/2" OSB , couple 2x6s , and roofing felt.

unloaded it all to the shop and started to deconstruct the shed.

Whoever built it, didnt frame in the window right imo, it leaks like a sieve, will have to figure how to seal it up and then the best way to shingle around it. The walls are no longer square and vertical, used to ratchet strap to pull at as close as I can get it, still not close.
Hopefully its not raining tomorrow and i'll pull the roof off and paper it. Will also wrap the walls before pull up the new siding.

Last edited:
Well I hope it goes well. I think you made the right choice. Most prefab coops don't last. I've personally turned a shed like this into a bee shack and converted a pole barn into a coop. Still a work in progress. Lol

Back
Top Bottom