Converting Shed to coop...

jdgbirds31

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
We are converting half our shed into a coop to give our flock more space. My first question is about temperature: the shed has 2 decent windows and then 2 small vents in the eaves which we plan to expand a little, but even w all that it gets fairly warm in the summer in there. I plan to open the main shed doors during the day but won't be able to when we are out of town. They do free range during the day, but just wondering about laying and nights. Second, we have leftover welded wire fencing w 2"x4" openings I was thinking of using for the coop. It is small enough to keep the birds in and most animals out and would only actually be used for the new interior wall that would split the shed, do you think that's safe enough? I suppose if a weasel or something got in the shed then they could get into the coop but seems unlikely anything other than a mouse can get in there. Thoughts? Thx!

I would think anything small enough to get into the shed itself wont be much of a match for the chickens. I've seen some pretty big mice, small rats, and snakes get annihilated by my birds. So ya interior wall will be just fine. Nights should be ok as typically they are cooler, not sure about your location. For the day do you have power accessible for fans?

We are in Virginia so pretty hot in the summer. Other than running an extension cord from the house, a fan isn't a option. That said, the shed is in a shady area.

Back
Top Bottom