Converting the shed, pics at posts 16 and 20

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by annaraven, Dec 25, 2010.

1. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Okay, so I was silly and not aware of chicken math when I started out this summer. I thought I'd only be getting a "couple chickens". I mean really - two hens are plenty. They'll keep each other company. And I only need a little coop for them. Ooh there's a really cute little pre-made coop for sale! And I can build a run around it! There'll be plenty of room!

Oops.

So, the first week I bought two girls - a buff orpington and a brown leghorn. Then I saw an ad for a Sicilian Buttercup - and OH she's so pretty! I had to have her. So all summer I was good and had three pullets. And they fit okay into the little coop. But, then cherylcohen was selling babies. And, well, they were so cute. And I had to look and well, I'm sure I'd be able to fit them in the little coop *somehow*.

Hrmmmm. Buffy is now sleeping in the nest box cuz she's too big to fit on the roost (which is too close to the roof of the little coop) with the other two Big Girls. So the nest box is getting poopy. Oops. Not good. Especially now that all three Big Girls are laying!

So there's this really nice metal garden shed right next to the run. I don't really store my garden tools in there anyways. So, there really isn't any reason to *not* convert it into a big coop for the girls. So instead of napping today, I was planning out the design of the new coop. It's got pretty clay roof tiles just like the big house and a nice concrete floor. It's got not so good sliding metal doors, which I can cover with hardware cloth to provide ventilation and predator protection and light. And help keep it cool in summer and close the sliding doors to keep it warmer in winter. I can build in a hardwarecloth-covered door.

It'll have a nice airlock passageway to the run (to be predator safe in crossing the 3 inches between the Faraday Cage run and the shed. I'll have a couple of nice roosts with plenty of room for all the girls! And 2 or 3 nice nesting boxes *separate* from the roosts. And even a poop board under the roosts. So I'll be able to collect eggs without getting rained on! I'll be able to walk in and see the chickens! The little pre-made coop can get taken out of the run so there will be plenty of room for the girls to run around in the run when they're not freeranging. Yay. I'm looking forward to all this new building!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yay! We must see pictures!!! I've been a victim of chicken math too, we planned on starting out with 5 or 6, now I have 35... [​IMG]

3. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I just started planning it out in my head today. But I will post pics when I build it. Tomorrow, DH is getting me a new jigsaw at the after-christmas sales. I've read that jigsaws are the best for cutting into metal... And of course, I'll need a power-stapler for the hardware cloth and some two-by-fours and ... [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

And you can always keep the little pre-fab coop for quarantine housing, an infirmary, or as a grow-out coop!

5. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Ooh - good thinking Gryeyes. I mean, oh no... I don't need a growout coop! Really. [​IMG]

6. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    YYYYeeeessss, you NEED a grow out coop.......you are getting very sleeeeepy....don't fight the assimilation.....it will be easier this way....[​IMG]

7. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    That sounds like a great plan. I know what they mean about the math deal, I am building our third coop right now. Like chickengirl said trying to resist is futile come over to the dark side.

8. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Quote:Wow I started with 10 now 52..... Oops... Chicken math is great!

Your coop ideas sound great!

-Nate

9. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    So the shed is 10' wide by 5' deep. Today I bought a new jigsaw so I can cut a pop-door and ventilation for it and build a couple roosts. Tomorrow, I need to go buy some lumber.

10. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    That's what I did except I had to buy the metal building. http://picasaweb.google.com/sharol46/CoopProgress# is a picture progression.

The steel siding was so tough that we had to use "nibblers" to cut it (actually, I called my handyman to cut the windows and pop-door). Sounds like you already have a plan, and a 5x10 coop will hold 12 chickens, too. How nice. My 7 have lots of room in my 6x8 building. Plenty of room for... no, not planning that.

I agree with gryeyes, the old one will be a great grow out coop. That will be what I use my 1st coop (bought in July) for next summer. No. I didn't say that. I didn't. Really I didn't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by