Cooked black beans okay? Bad?

LA~Poulet

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2009
near Lake Charles, LA
I see on the treat chart that beans need to be cooked. We have more than we will eat leftover from a meal, is it okay to feed them to the chickens? Is it more preferable not to?

I feed my chickens beans all the time. They love 'em!
wink.png

Edited: They are always cooked beans, although, my birds have eaten the leftover dried beans from the garden before without issues. They jumped up, took them right off the poles, and opened up the dried pods in the autumn time. Smart birdies.

Last edited:
How funny!!! I just got back in the house from taking out a plate of leftover pinto beans we cooked up for burritos tonight!
I saw the title of this thread and thought to myself "oh oh...I sure hope I didn't blow it".
My birds loved them! I put them on a paper plate and put them in with the Wyandotts who are about 16-18 weeks old and they pounced on them. When they had all had a chance to eat their share...I moved the plate to the adjoining, but separate run where I have the younger Ameracaunas. The babies came running but stopped short of touching anything on the white paper plate. I waited a few minutes and not one of the 8 had the nerve to poke at the beans on the plate. I thought about it for a min and flipped the plate over. The beans in the dirt became an instant hit! I had chicks chasing chicks! LOL!
What a bunch of characters!

Anyway...I am glad I didn't do wrong! Are there things that I shouldn't feed the girls???

Maybe there is not enough flavor in the beans I try to give mine. I bought some red beans just for them, because I put as much onions in my beans as beans. Onions are a no no for birds, at least parrots, it can cause the bird to bleed out.

BTW I hope birds do not get the vapors, might sound confusing mixed in with the clucks.

lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom