cooked egg shell

You can feed them cooked egg shells. Yes they will eat eggs my hens know that eggs are delicious so I will sometimes find egg stains on the ground, but I've never had a big case of my chickens eating all the eggs in the nesting boxes. My hens will eat eggs on the ground or if they are cracked though occasionally I do find an eaten egg in the nesting box.

Last edited:
I never cook my shells. I just crack the egg, toss the shell in a bowl with all the other scraps, and throw in the run. I've done this 20 years and not had a problem with hens eating eggs. If you're not comfortable with that, you can just crush the shells smaller. I don't see what cooking them would do.......I keep things as simple as possible.

I never cook my shells. I just crack the egg, toss the shell in a bowl with all the other scraps, and throw in the run. I've done this 20 years and not had a problem with hens eating eggs. If you're not comfortable with that, you can just crush the shells smaller. I don't see what cooking them would do.......I keep things as simple as possible.

I think it's because some people feed their chickens store bought egg shells and fear that there could be bacteria on them so they cook the eggs, I too never cook my eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom