Cooked

Madcap621

Songster
10 Years
Oct 30, 2009
Middle Tennessee
I suspect that my eggs - like my goose - are cooked
cool.png
. I went to bed last night with the bater @99.9 [has been holding between 99.7 & 100.3], RH 35 & the thermostat unlit ............................. all was well, right? Was up for a 'routine' BR trip @ 3:30, glanced into the bator on my way past
ep.gif
104.3, RH 20,
ep.gif
AND THE THERMOSTAT LIGHT NOT ONLY STILL ON BUT COULDN'T GET IT TO TURN OFF!
he.gif
I removed the top and added a wet sponge, got my other bator top and switched them out. By now the temp is room air temp - 70* - but the eggs are still very warm. Stayed up until It was holding steady at 99* w/thermo light cycling on and off and went back to bed.
barnie.gif

When I got up this morning temp was back up to 103.3
he.gif
Pulled of the top, back down to 72* put the top back on and am waiting for temps to stabilize.
hide.gif
Has anyone had eggs survive something like this? It is day 10. Is there any point in trying to continue with this clutch?
hit.gif
I am using a Hova-Bator I added a computer fan to.

Could use some recommendations/guidance from experinced incubators. I think I know, though. Dump them, right??

Most likely.

What you really need to work on is the incubator not this hatch.

Most incubators will move up and down temp wise but not more than 1/2 a degree. saladin

I wouldn't be so quick to dump them... get the temp stabilized and see what the next few days brings as far as movement and development. I've had eggs survive spikes higher than 105.

The top I now have on it is the one I used - successfully - with my "traveling hatch" Jan 2-4. I am due to do 2nd candling on Monday [day 14]. Will watch closely and hang in until then.
fl.gif

Definitely hang on.

A few years ago we had a power outage for 4 days during a hatch. This was at the very end of the hatch so 3 weeks of incubating would have been for naught. Since I had no idea how long the power would be out I decided to jerry rig a way to heat the incubator during that time. For all I know it could have been off for only a few hours. I turned on our propane oven and vented the heat into the incubator, then I used my meat thermometer with an alarm that lets you know when dinner is ready to tell me if the temp was rising. I barely slept those 4 days because I had to constantly adjust the heat and watch the temp. Before we got the heat set up the temp in the bater dropped below 80, I accidentally fell asleep one night and it went up to about 105 and I slept right through the alarm... I was sure I'd killed them all.

When the power came on I plugged the bater back an and hoped for the best. The next day I was sitting on the computer chatting and I heard some chirps. At first it didn't register in my brain, I thought it was someone's IM sounds LOL! Then I realized what it was and told everyone in the chat room. They all begged me to set up the webcam and let them watch. When the first one was hatched my friends all named him Lucky, because it was lucky he survived. Over the next day we had a couple more hatch. The second hatched was named Pooh, because everyone who was watching the cam would ask if it was hatching but it was just a spot of poo on the shell and the webcam was bad and it was hard to tell what was a crack and what wasn't. The 3rd (the one that died) was a bright yellow buff and one gal in the chatroom who stayed up very, very late to watch the hatch was sitting and munching on popcorn while chatting and when she hatched, she named her Popcorn LOL! Sadly, Popcorn died a short while later because she wasn't healthy.

OK I drifted a bit, sorry, but it brought back memories.

Anyway, we only had a few out of the few dozen in there hatch, but it was worth waiting it out.

Here's a pic of Lucky

003723.jpg

Thanks so much for the encouragement!
hugs.gif
An up-lifting story and one to make me hang in! After all, worst-case: nothing will hatch, which would be a absolut if I tossed my eggs today, right? So, I will hang in, only throw out eggs that weep or smell!
gig.gif

Right now I have BOTH 'bators going and am checking them every 15 min to see what is doing. The one with the eggs is holding well @99.9*.
fl.gif
The one that went haywire last night is coming up to temp. The thermostat is cycling on and of and I am increasing temp in increments of 1/2 turn. We'll see. I have to be gone for 4 hours this evening.

I came home one day and found my sitter let the kids get near the incubator and it was at 115 degrees. no clue how long it was that high but it was button quail (tiny eggs that wouldn't take long to warm up) and I got a hatch. it was smaller than I had hoped for shipped eggs but there was a hatch. H:flold out hope!

Back
Top Bottom