Cooking question?

Sweet Potato noodles are otherwise known as glass noodles (different than cellophane) and commonly used in Korean cooking to make Japchae. They are gluten free and sold in dry pack.

I believe they are made from the starch as opposed to the potato itself.. being clear in color and all.. but could be mistaken.

I cannot comment on texture or flavor since I don't eat them. But the rest of my family really REALLY enjoys Japchae.

Happy culinary adventures! :thumbsup
never heard of them! thank you

Sweet Potato noodles are otherwise known as glass noodles (different than cellophane) and commonly used in Korean cooking to make Japchae. They are gluten free and sold in dry pack.

I believe they are made from the starch as opposed to the potato itself.. being clear in color and all.. but could be mistaken.

I cannot comment on texture or flavor since I don't eat them. But the rest of my family really REALLY enjoys Japchae.

Happy culinary adventures! :thumbsup
Thank you very much. Your answer leads someone to think this could be made workable.

As [an amateur] someone who makes noodles....

Not really. You have two issues there.

One, you need long string starches, or binding starches, to make noodles. That's why gluten noodles (wheat flour based) work so well. There are, of course, other options - but to get "noodle" tooth and "noodle" spring, you need wheat or buckwheat or similar. Rice noodles are next closest. There are legume-based noodles (from lentils, chickpea) on the market now, but if you've tried one, you know both the flavor and the texture are all wrong.

Two, noodles keep because there is masically no (less than 10%) moisture in them. That's not something you can do with winter squash like pumpkins, butternut, and similar. Take them below 10% moisture and you can make a "flour" with it, but not reconstitue into anything like a noodle.

Don't despair, however. Fresh winter squash CAN be used as a noodle directly, such as the "spaghetti" squash, by scraping long strings of the fleshy body out and cooking directly, no intermediate drying, rehydratings, working, stretching/rolling, cutting steps required. Unopened and stored properly, winter squash WILL keep quite effectively, unlike summer squash.

and yes, there are "pumpkin" noodles on the market, just as there are "spinach" noodles on the market - both made by incorporating some of the flavoring ingredient into conventional wheat noodles, not skipping the wheat entire.
So do you think the pumpkin noodles would be better in like a sealed wet packet like they do with udon noodles?

Your comment suggests maybe squash will work better than pumpkins? Would you think it could work with all squash types or only winter squash?

I wonder if this stuff could be mixed with something else to make up for the starch issue that you mentioned? But that might have to be something that isn't already chemically poisoned with glyphosate stuff...

Thank you very much for your comments. You've given me some things to think about!

So do you think the pumpkin noodles would be better in like a sealed wet packet like they do with udon noodles?

Your comment suggests maybe squash will work better than pumpkins? Would you think it could work with all squash types or only winter squash?

I wonder if this stuff could be mixed with something else to make up for the starch issue that you mentioned? But that might have to be something that isn't already chemically poisoned with glyphosate stuff...

Thank you very much for your comments. You've given me some things to think about!
Yes, wet storage, and pumpkins are a winter squash.

Back
Top Bottom