Cooking question?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
I have a question...

Is it possible to make a dry preservable noodle out of pumpkins? I'd been thinking about this for awhile that people need an alternative to wheat. Wheat is looking like less of an option all the time the more people have trouble with it every year. And they think that eventually most of the population will eventually end up wheat/gluten intolerant in a few years. And they already make rice noodles in dry packs. So if they can make dry pack rice noodles, can't they do other stuff to make dry noodle packs also like pumpkin, squash, etc? This makes me wonder if its possible to do a dry pack pumpkin noodle that could be preservable and long term storable without a fridge? Thanks and I hope some others are interested in this also.

(And which thread do food preservation and cooking questions typically go under?)

I have a question...

Is it possible to make a dry preservable noodle out of pumpkins? I'd been thinking about this for awhile that people need an alternative to wheat. Wheat is looking like less of an option all the time the more people have trouble with it every year. And they think that eventually most of the population will eventually end up wheat/gluten intolerant in a few years. And they already make rice noodles in dry packs. So if they can make dry pack rice noodles, can't they do other stuff to make dry noodle packs also like pumpkin, squash, etc? This makes me wonder if its possible to do a dry pack pumpkin noodle that could be preservable and long term storable without a fridge? Thanks and I hope some others are interested in this also.

(And which thread do food preservation and cooking questions typically go under?)
As [an amateur] someone who makes noodles....

Not really. You have two issues there.

One, you need long string starches, or binding starches, to make noodles. That's why gluten noodles (wheat flour based) work so well. There are, of course, other options - but to get "noodle" tooth and "noodle" spring, you need wheat or buckwheat or similar. Rice noodles are next closest. There are legume-based noodles (from lentils, chickpea) on the market now, but if you've tried one, you know both the flavor and the texture are all wrong.

Two, noodles keep because there is masically no (less than 10%) moisture in them. That's not something you can do with winter squash like pumpkins, butternut, and similar. Take them below 10% moisture and you can make a "flour" with it, but not reconstitue into anything like a noodle.

Don't despair, however. Fresh winter squash CAN be used as a noodle directly, such as the "spaghetti" squash, by scraping long strings of the fleshy body out and cooking directly, no intermediate drying, rehydratings, working, stretching/rolling, cutting steps required. Unopened and stored properly, winter squash WILL keep quite effectively, unlike summer squash.

and yes, there are "pumpkin" noodles on the market, just as there are "spinach" noodles on the market - both made by incorporating some of the flavoring ingredient into conventional wheat noodles, not skipping the wheat entire.

There are legume-based noodles (from lentils, chickpea) on the market now, but if you've tried one, you know both the flavor and the texture are all wrong.
I've tried them. Uh... yeah. Texture and flavor are maybe not all wrong. But I feel generous in saying they're 75% wrong.
such as the "spaghetti" squash, by scraping long strings of the fleshy body out and cooking directly, no intermediate drying, rehydratings, working, stretching/rolling, cutting steps required. Unopened and stored properly, winter squash WILL keep quite effectively, unlike summer squash.
I had to pick my spaghetti squash because the plants died and some kind of bug was eating its way inside. So, no long term storage for them; they had to be cooked.

I'd read that the "spaghetti" can be frozen after cooking, so I'm giving that a try. I baked it at 400 for 30 minutes, scraped out the flesh, and let it drain overnight in a colander in the fridge. I was amazed that probably 3-4 cups of liquid drained out. I bagged it and put it in the freezer. We'll see what it's like in a couple of weeks.

If I were doing this again (next summer, maybe), I would have baked them about 10 minutes less. When I had some for dinner last night, the noodles seemed a bit overdone.

Don't expect them to twirl around your fork. :hmm

I'd read that the "spaghetti" can be frozen after cooking, so I'm giving that a try. I baked it at 400 for 30 minutes, scraped out the flesh, and let it drain overnight in a colander in the fridge. I was amazed that probably 3-4 cups of liquid drained out. I bagged it and put it in the freezer. We'll see what it's like in a couple of weeks.
I've read that too, but assumed freezing would damage the cell walls and result in a substantially inferior product. Never tried it though

Guess what a Soba noodle is made from??? Yup, thousands of years of use.
My palate needs to get out more. I've never had these. :oops:

Have you made them with 100% buckwheat flour?

I've read that too, but assumed freezing would damage the cell walls and result in a substantially inferior product. Never tried it though
I'm not expecting anything great, but the squash wouldn't keep. I'll let you know if it's better than mush. :hmm

My palate needs to get out more. I've never had these. :oops:

Have you made them with 100% buckwheat flour?

I'm not expecting anything great, but the squash wouldn't keep. I'll let you know if it's better than mush. :hmm
Thank you, and no, I haven't. Make wheat flour noodles at least once a week. Its easy. I should get some buckwheat and try. My diet leans more Mediteranean than Asian, so its not something I'd previously considered.

I should get some buckwheat and try.
If you try it, please let me know how it goes. It would be great to have a noodle I could make myself. I'd love to be able to eat SOME kind of noodle again.

Well, not the chickpea stuff. I have some GF spaghetti in the cupboard. It's been there several months. Just not really a fan. GF beggers can't be choosers, right? Ah, I'm still choosy.

So if they can make dry pack rice noodles, can't they do other stuff to make dry noodle packs also like pumpkin, squash, etc?
Sweet Potato noodles are otherwise known as glass noodles (different than cellophane) and commonly used in Korean cooking to make Japchae. They are gluten free and sold in dry pack.

I believe they are made from the starch as opposed to the potato itself.. being clear in color and all.. but could be mistaken.

I cannot comment on texture or flavor since I don't eat them. But the rest of my family really REALLY enjoys Japchae.

Happy culinary adventures! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom