Homesteading and questions about it...

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So... I need to find a cheap place to live. I'm DIY big, but small on cash. Though I do have the ability to do many things, I have a ton of health problems that I can't do anything about, and didn't do anything to cause. Basically disabled but not getting a check from the gov.

I need to find a cheap rural lot to live in that will let me do what I want. But I don't have a lot of cash and can't do a mortgage. My ability to produce income is very limited, but extremely stable. I just can't produce a lot of it.

It seems like on paper, I could find a rural lot and then just build a cabin on it. But I don't have the funds or know how to deal with stuff like building codes, rules of society that force you to buy things. That seems both intimidating and a trap. That kind of stuff could put me in a position where I can't go forward and could even get trapped into giving up too much cash.

I was hoping people might have insight on stuff related to this.

On paper building like a 1 room or 2 room cabin actually doesn't take a lot. You could do it cheaply and without a lot of cash. But its this stuff with people wanting you to pay into the system that make it difficult.

Like how do you find rural places to live that will let you build with limited means? Or like a lot where they won't be looking over your shoulder with restrictions and enforcement? Is it possible to find something where you can just put up 'agricultural sheds' that you happen to be staying in? Or a way around the red tape? Are there places in the US still that won't really enforce a bunch of code rules and let you do your own system?

Some places in Europe and the US also have different rules for agricultural intended people. And I actually could use that to my advantage as I have 10 years gardening experience, if I actually knew the rules for those which would vary by state.

What kinds of questions should you ask when buying a rural lot if you are looking for something where you need to build unhindered?

I'd asked this kind of thing on youtube, but as soon as I did the channel I asked it on got quiet. It was the only thing they didn't or couldn't help with.

Well, I wish you good luck in your endeavors. We only get one life, so you might as well follow your dreams if possible.

It is my understanding that homesteading can really be a big challenge for young healthy people. If you have health concerns now, I would be asking if your body is up to the task and will you get stronger, or will you wear your body out from all the work?

I have heard some YouTubers that promote the homesteading lifestyle actually have daytime jobs and their YouTube videos on homesteading is a side gig for extra money. Lots of people post positive videos on YouTube, but you rarely see the negative side of anything posted.

I would suggest finding someone in the area that you want to live in that is already attempting to homestead. They probably have the answers to your questions because they had to go through that process themselves. I also like the idea of living in a RV or a camper for a period of time if you plan on building a small home. That might take a lot of pressure off you while you build your home.

Best wishes.

where do you live? each country has its own rules. in greece you cannot live in an RV without a permit.

find out where you can buy a cheap plot then ask the local government about building a cabin. dry wall is fairly cheap so consider it.

Thank you for the replies.

I'm in southwestern US. But open minded about other places. And here it can be tricky about water especially. And that's part of what made me more open minded. If you have water you can be stable. Without water you can't grow or produce industry.

What is your timeline for getting started? Do you have to move soon?

You need a reliable source of water, that's a given. It has to be safe to drink, too.

What kind of climate are you willing/able to live in? We have four very distinct seasons in Michigan; winter is the most difficult. And our winter is nothing like the plains, or Minnesota.

Your land has to be sufficiently fertile to grow crops. You can improve the soil, but it'll take a season or two. Or more.

Nowadays, you can find out nearly anything about a certain location online. But you have to be able to trust the source of your information. This sounds like a once in a lifetime move, and you need to get it right from the beginning.

Depending on the State laws you could also look into a prefab tiny home. Some of them aren't that bad of a price when you consider they come with everything already "up to code" and you don't have to worry about setting up electricity or getting multiple inspections done for electricity/water/etc.

From experience, as we're actually DIY homesteaders, most on videos like a few said have money and make it way more simple looking than it really is.

In Colorado, the codes for building and/or having campers are really strict, my cousin is in a similar boat as you. The best choice is to find a place that already has a cabin or building that you can remodel (what we did). My parents placed an old trailer here, and partially added an apartment in the barn. When we had to move in to take care of them, we remodeled the apartment.
But, let me tell you, it is a heck of a lot of work and money. Even DIY. We have construction experience, which helps (including electrical and plumbing), but the materials are very expensive. Also, remember you have to have a heat source, being ours (and mom's too) is wood that too is a lot of work, prepping and keeping up with it. It's not an easy life. We also have to haul our own water as wells out here are extremely expensive, and cost of delivery became just as bad. Containers for this is pricey as well.

Campers are a better idea for low income, and if you're not able to do a lot, but many locations demand a permanent residence (House or modular) before campers are allowed.

I would recommend looking into camping sites, many have year long residents and need help maintaining the property and etc. My cousin is currently doing this himself. Something to think about anyway. Hope this may be a bit of help.

Depending on the State laws you could also look into a prefab tiny home. Some of them aren't that bad of a price when you consider they come with everything already "up to code" and you don't have to worry about setting up electricity or getting multiple inspections done for electricity/water/etc.
This is what I was going to say too. In our area we have a bunch of Amish and Mennonite builders who pump out prefab sheds/cabins/tiny homes at surprisingly affordable prices. I know it's not for everyone but it could be worth looking into. Then the dealers who sell them constantly are trying to thin inventory and will discount them pretty well during spring and later in the fall. This is how I bought my chicken coop. it was about half the cost of a similar build from one of the bigger fancy brands that would ship all over the country.

Back
Top Bottom