Cooking roosters

NUb01

Hatching
Sep 8, 2022
Has anyone butchered a rooster and cooked immediately? Or does resting really make that much difference?

Has anyone butchered a rooster and cooked immediately? Or does resting really make that much difference?
If you can process and get it cooking quickly enough, before rigor mortis starts to set in, it can work. Otherwise resting is necessary, especially so for any bird over 6 months old, as it will be practically inedible if you don't.

Were they very young birds? Mine are always stiff as a board the first day.

Yearling roos. Only ever butchered (to eat) a roo that was older than a year one time and it was defintiely not worth it. Resting 10 or so hours has been plenty resting for me on several occasions, especially for 3 month old broilers.

I have butchered a set of birds at the end of the day and had to start cooking them 6am for an event that day. Worked out great and that was also about a 10 hour rest. But I wouldnt expect especially tender meat on a bird any older than 6 or 7 months with any method.

Last edited:
Over a year in age, stewing, stocking, souping, or sausaging are really your only options.
and I've never processed, consistently, fast enough that I could cull, clean, and cook in a single day - but I never do just one bird.
Yep, old hens make great soup, stock and sausage, they are very flavorful. But personally I just can't enjoy eating my older chickens because I know them too well, so around here they go for dog food.
I have many times processed an old hen then straight into the stock pot and the meat is good and tender. But I find roosters to be a real chore to process with their tough connective tissues.

Back
Top Bottom