Cooler incubator!

Timbeas8907

Chirping
Apr 30, 2015
Illinois
I just placed my order for the 150qt cooler to build an incubator:D. Now I have to figure out how I want to build it. I was thinking a pid temp controller hooked to a ssr and 2 100 watt ceramic cone heaters with a wafer thermostat for an emergencies shut off. For humidity I have a little terrarium humidifier I want to hook to a controller of some kind. I was thinking of getting most of the stuff from here www.auberins.com. Does anyone have experience with their products?

Funny thing was my hatch rates were better with that thing than the little giant.....grrr in fact I went back to using it until I built my cabinet incubator....post pictures when you get it done!

I've never built one this will be my first but it'll all depend on how how much you decide to spend on it really. I've got 67 in the cooler I could go the cheap route keep it under 150 easy. But that's not fun lol

I just placed my order for the 150qt cooler to build an incubator:D. Now I have to figure out how I want to build it. I was thinking a pid temp controller hooked to a ssr and 2 100 watt ceramic cone heaters with a wafer thermostat for an emergencies shut off. For humidity I have a little terrarium humidifier I want to hook to a controller of some kind. I was thinking of getting most of the stuff from here www.auberins.com. Does anyone have experience with their products?

You might want to check out the controlers on Amazon, STL-1000 and the XM-18 but if you go with the XM-18 you will probably have to wait on a long shipping term and should be aware it uses china's 50hz electricity, US uses 60hz. It should work as it just means the electrictiy flickers/pulses 10 more times per second.
In comparison, your choice does seem to have tighter specs and if your "Tim Allen/home inprovement" style and budget requrires that, more power to you and the incubator. LOL

As for my Cooler Bater history.....
I cant remember the total cost but I think my original cooler-bator was around $50 after I bought the racks, wafer thermostat, plexi-glass and trays. I had a PC fan laying around and other materials to work with so all cost were not all included.
Still, the cooler-bator let me set and hatch over 250 qual eggs, or 150 phesants (at at time), and I loved that little bator and still have it for small jobs! It has it's faults such as cleaning and sterializing is a b***uger and is very airy/drafty due to all its past use! Besides that its plastic.

But my current Big-Boy upgrade hatchs over 1750 quail (all manual egg turning) which causes me to have nightmares about eggs after about a week of turning....lol! I have used it for a few years with good results and hatch rates. But I had to throw that one together as I had several large orders for chicks and juvies for a few seasons.

Thus such is prompting my new build.....a clone of the 1500/15002 but better, like you more bells and whistles and everything automatic. I'll will have nearly $250 in this one (I hope) when done. I am giving the XM a shot but have back up plans (STL) just in case.

I bought extra materials as well (not included in the above cost) and will be rebuilding the "Big Boy 1750" after I get the 1500 up and running.

Back
Top Bottom