Coolest Mixed Breed contest

Discussion in 'Online Poultry Show' started by Nankin22, Apr 10, 2012.

1. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I always thought geese were cool! I heard they can fend off some kinds of predators..

2. castillofa

castillofa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    I am still new to raising chic, but I do have a question. Is there really a downside to having a mixed flock? If they are all dual purpose with similar dispositions, I could only see having additional color variations.

Any info and or comments would be helpful. :/

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    If you aren't planning on showing or selling eggs or chicks, there is no reason that you can't have and really enjoy a mixed flock. This spring I decided to purchase 11 pullets from 11 different breeds :) I was more looking for a rainbow in my egg carton then keeping breeds separated. If I ever choose to breed pure, I will just make separate breeding pens for my mated birds. Until then, I'm going to enjoy looking at all my different chicken 'eye candy'!

4. Nankin22

Nankin22 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    yes i agree as long as your not showing or selling chicks and do decide to breed to make choickens for you sometimes you can get a mixed breed that lays alot of eggs

5. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    [​IMG]
    Meet the amazing Silki-silk! He's in his tux where he won a prize at a local pet show...too cute! He's 7 months old.

6. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I'm hoping to get 9 chicks this year of 8 different breeds ;D I figure I will try to get 7 girls and 2 boys, one of which is going to be the same breed as one of the girls (So I can incubate and sell her eggs as pure breed :D)

7. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

So cute!! I love it! :D

8. Silkie hen

Silkie hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    my Broody Silkie/Cochin/ mix hen 7 months in this picture

Hatching 5 Silkie/Cochin/ mix chicks

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  9. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    X2!! [​IMG]

10. themadchicken

themadchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2012
    Lehi Utah
    [​IMG][​IMG]This is Bandit, she is 18 weeks old and i have no idea what breed s she came from other her egg was olive. She is very friendly, but very picky when it comes to bugs. She wont eat a night crawler but will eat a centipede. Guess shes into spicy food.[​IMG]

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by