oldhenlikesdogs

Hope Springs Eternal
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
We are life long coonhound owners here, but we haven't had one in about 4 years since we lost the last one. We are talking of getting another perhaps next year. Probably a bluetick, but we love them all. The ears, the goofy personality, and especially that sweet baying. It's a sound you never forget.

Anyone else keep coonhounds? Are they pets, or do you hunt yours. We have attempted to train 3 now and we haven't been too successful. We loved them anyways. So please share your dogs, or experiences with them.

Last edited:
We are life long coonhound owners here, but we haven't had one in about 4 years since we lost the last one. We are talking of getting another perhaps next year. Probably a bluetick, but we love them all. The ears, the goofy personality, and especially that sweet baying. It's a sound you never forget.

Anyone else keep coonhounds? Are they pets, or do you hunt yours. We have attempted to train 3 now and we haven't been too successful. We loved them anyways. So please share your dogs, or experiences with them.

Here's our last one, Louie, the black and tan, in his later years. Fat and happy.

View attachment 1906106

Awwww I love Louie :love

I love hounds. If I was going to get another hound I would get a Bloodhound because I like their personalities and the way they look. That said, a hound can drive a sane person nuts. When they are on a scent the rest of their brain shuts down. They can't hear a thing you say. The rest of the time they use that nose to get into trouble. With my Basset, the litterbox and the kitchen garbage were prime targets. I took care of the litterbox by getting a top entry box the cat could get into but she couldn't. The kitchen garbage is a bigger problem. There is a drawer in the kitchen island that holds the trash can. She learned to slide out the drawer and then reach in and pull out the garbage sack. I used mouse traps to keep her out of the bathroom trash but the kitchen trash is an ongoing problem. I tried cayenne pepper and that worked until she developed a taste for cayenne.

I love hounds. If I was going to get another hound I would get a Bloodhound because I like their personalities and the way they look. That said, a hound can drive a sane person nuts. When they are on a scent the rest of their brain shuts down. They can't hear a thing you say. The rest of the time they use that nose to get into trouble. With my Basset, the litterbox and the kitchen garbage were prime targets. I took care of the litterbox by getting a top entry box the cat could get into but she couldn't. The kitchen garbage is a bigger problem. There is a drawer in the kitchen island that holds the trash can. She learned to slide out the drawer and then reach in and pull out the garbage sack. I used mouse traps to keep her out of the bathroom trash but the kitchen trash is an ongoing problem. I tried cayenne pepper and that worked until she developed a taste for cayenne.
They are smart and persistent aren't they? :) That is the main fault to a hound, running off. Probably the other is eating everything. :) The good things are they are funny dogs that like to lay around if they aren't following their noses.

I've had 2 bassets in my life. They were my first love as far as dog breeds thanks to Smokey and The Bandit. :)

Yes they definitely seem to love following their noses!! LOL that and the baying is probably the biggest reason why I haven’t gotten one yet but I would love to get one eventually. :)

Back
Top Bottom