Coons Anyway to Stop Them From Coming Over the Fence ????

LilChickyCoop

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 15, 2012
Timpson, TX 75975
I've been leaving the trap door open and the entry door open during the day since it's been so hot here in NE TX. I go out right at dark and close the doors. Last when I got to the gate there was a large coon getting ready to go into the coop, well needless to say I started yelling at it (I knew I didn't have time to go get my gun and come back) and waving my arms stomping my feet and it took off over the 6' fence at the corner post and ran off. So I checked on my girls , they just turned 9 1/2 weeks to make sure they were OK locked everything up securely came back into the house and told my husband.

So tonight he waited with the shotgun watching for it, sure enough around 9:30 he looked out and there it was eating the chicken feed so he went out shot it twice he hit it but it still got over the fence. We went out with the lights and there was blood all over so we know it was hit.

I so upset to think if I had waited just a few more minutes last night my Chickie's would have been dead.

If anyone has any advice as how to keep them from coming over the fence, please let me know. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank You.

Cover the top of the run. Our run is covered with welded wire fencing. We also have an 18-inch wide skirt buried all around the coop and run so nothing will dig under it. It gets a little pricey and involves a lot of work - but otherwise the chickens are easy pickings for coons and other predators.

CarolJ, Thank you for the information I appreciate the information. The only problem I have with that is my coop is taller than my fence. So I guess we will have to figure out a way to do that. In the meantime I'll have to figure something out and make sure my girls are locked up tight before dark.
Again Thanks for taking the time for the adivce.

I have not been able to stop animals from going under,over,and through my chainlink fence.My only option has been to trap the animals.So my recommendation is to set traps 24/7.Havarat,snares,leg holds.Variety is good. Glad you saved the chickies from a sure death.

put a top over it you might want to take and put tin around the bottom of the pen about2 ft high coons have been known to pull chickens throw the fence down here where i live theres so many coons you can set a trap and come back a hour later and you will have a coon but that coon is probably dead im pretty shure if he was filled full of pellets he's dead

Coons are smart and adaptable. They will work diligently to overcome any security system you build. For me, the options is tarp and kill the coons that venture near the coop. I keep a pair of Duke Dog-proof traps set every night in the woods just behind the coop. The run about $13 each, target only coon and skunk, and won't harm other species. I'm glad you got there when you did, good luck in the future.

My coop is also taller than my fence, but it works to put a top on the run. (I don't have any pictures right now, but will add some later) You can also run a strand of electric wire around the top of the fence.

ETA - Here are a couple of pictures of my coops and runs. Hope it helps.

Side view of layer coop & run.

How the top is attached to the building .

Grow-out coop & run.

Last edited:
Seems like we've been doing a lot of talking about coons lately. They are about as relentless as any predator there is. I trap them, shoot them and rely on our dogs to chase them off. I got serious with coons and possums after I paid $100.00 for a dozen eggs, incubated them and a coon killed all but 2 in a matter of minutes.

Try searching under bucket set, dirt hole set, DP coon trap, Lil Griz and conibear traps. I use some of each. These purchased traps can get expensive though. I started using snares to great effect. The grandkids would watch the videos on youtube and build their own snares. They worked very well and, nothing is as cheap as snares. I've been wanting to try the squirrel pole method for coons. Snares are indiscriminate in what they catch. Be careful, if you have yours or neighbor's pets around, you may want to consider the DP type traps only.

Anyway, search these methods and see what works for you. I promise the coons won't stop coming! Just when we think we've gained the upper hand, we catch a couple or they get in and kill some chickens or ducks.

Back
Top Bottom