coons

tuckeb2

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Can someone help with some ideas I can't seem to coon proof my girls.. at least I think it is coons

I'm sorry you've had problems. Coons can be a lot of trouble. What kind of housing do you have? Do you know how they got in? There are lots of different types of predators.

This is what I do. At night, mine are in a solid coop. It's put together with wood screws, so wood can't be pulled off.

The latches and hinges are also attached with wood screws, so they can't be pulled off. You want latches that are not easy for a coon to manipulate and open up.

I have 1/2" hardware cloth over all the windows and vents, attached with wood screws and washers. The pop hole door on the coop is only open during daylight hours. During the day, coons aren't an issue here. So for me, having them in a secure coop at night takes care of any coon issues.

This is what I do. At night, mine are in a solid coop. It's put together with wood screws, so wood can't be pulled off.

The latches and hinges are also attached with wood screws, so they can't be pulled off. You want latches that are not easy for a coon to manipulate and open up.

I have 1/2" hardware cloth over all the windows and vents, attached with wood screws and washers. The pop hole door on the coop is only open during daylight hours. During the day, coons aren't an issue here. So for me, having them in a secure coop at night takes care of any coon issues.
Yep, that about covers it. Use 1/2" hardware cloth over any openings. If they have access to a run at night it'll have to be proofed, too. That means a solid floor or buried hardware cloth. Chicken wire in these situations won't stop a coon. Lock any doors - I use carabiners generally but also proper locks.

Once your predator gets a taste for chicken they'll keep coming back, unfortunately.

yep had my first coon 3 nights ago. his mistake comming back 2 nights ago. pumped 3 22hp in him, he still climbed the fence and ran off, not far, he was laying in my neighbors drive. don't think he could get to the girls, but better safe than sorry.

Coons and foxes like to check the place out for a day or more before attacking. If you have a clear space that will show tracks you'll know when they have been there. Once when I was pretty sure a night assault was likely I put a cheap driveway alarm by the coop, put the receiver next to a cot on the porch next to gun and light and went to sleep. Alarm went off at 12:30 and the intruder was taken care of shortly after that.

I'm re-purposing an electric fence system that I used for my koi pond. Just running hot wires along the bottom of the run and one up near the entrance. worked for the koi pond--- figure coons like the taste of koi pretty much and i never lost one after i put in the fence set up.

Once you accept that the only way to have safe chickens is to coon proof their pen, its pretty easy ( but not necessarily cheap) to do it. Follow he above posters advice on hardware cloth. Bury hardware cloth around the perimeter of your coop. This will means that the only worry you will have is the perimeter of the actual coop to keep secure. Cover any and all gaps with hardware cloth. If you allow your chickens in the run at night (as I do) do the same for your run, paying special attention to the gap created by doors. The only place I use chicken wire is on the roof, securely attached and supported and by all means use your electric fence. Once that is done you won't have to worry about or care who's around at night. The coons,skunks, and possums will be free to predate on the rats and other varmits and your chickens will be safe. I used 1/2 hardware cloth for the fencing on my run. I don't think coons can climb it, but I wouldn't bet anything on it, anyway I have had not problems with the roof being chicken wire.

Back
Top Bottom