Coop add loft for more floor space?

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
[lie] I want to give my chickens more floor space[/lie] Ok, I really just want to add more chickens, but I don't want to cramp them. If I add a second level up about 3 -3.5 feet, Will that be considered adding floor space? They could play under it and on it. My coop is 8'x 8' and I was thinking about putting a 4' x 4' second level in the corner. Any thoughts on that. Good idea or bad?

I'm sure if you build it, they will like it, lol! You did such a terrific job on that one you sold w/ the drop down side that I'm sure this one will be just as great...now get off this forum and start hammerin girl, those chickens need new digs!!!
lau.gif

Make sure it has a lip on it so when they lay eggs up there, they wont roll onto the lower level and smash. I even had a broody who lost all her eggs for that reason. ours is a 2 small step drop and she rolled all but one down the steps. The very last egg was rolled down the steps and another silkie sat on it......so i might see that one hatch. I am going to try to candle it tonight and see if it is alive
fl.gif
So add a lip just in case.

DH won't let me get out there and build it, says it's too cold. Diffinately said I can't do it tomorrow. It's only supposed to be 13. Maybe Tuesday.

Yeah, I'll put a lip on it. I want to put pine shavings up there so I'll make it deep.

If you build it they will come!
wink.png

Just kidding! No really, with your skills it will be beautiful. Post some before and after shots.

Ooooh weee! 13 degrees! That is to cold to be building in, but I'm a wimp. It's warmed up to 18 degrees F here and the sun even came out.

It sounds like a good plan to me, but I'm no expert experienced chickener!
big_smile.png

Think carefully before you make it a full 4' deep - you will not be able to reach to the back of the 'shelf' well if at all, making it problematic if you have to retrieve things from there (eggs, chickens) or do any scrubbing-type cleaning.

Just a thought,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom