COOP ADDITIONS???? ANY IDEAS???

Yeah, that’s why we didn’t get the coop door thing..I always go check water and the feed...I’m already out closing and opening up the farm for the day, so..the chickens can’t be forgotten. That’s great you have them in your routine! Why would I laugh? I think it’s great that you have chickens, period! And I think it’s great that you e already figured out your needs for your coop design so you wont need to change it later. We had to do a large scale Reno over the holidays..there’s still a small section not done because our temps are in the negatives right now...but the new coop is fantastic, and I’m sure your new run will be too..and the girls will be thrilled to have more space! :)
Now this should surely make you laugh. Since the day I got my chickens, I started to sing to them. It always seemed to calm them. It is an old Dean Martin song called That's Amore. They are just over 4 months old and about two weeks ago something changed. They all jumped up on the same perch facing me and started to "sing" along with me. Louder and longer notes than what they usually do. Now they down't always all sit on the perch but a couple will always sing. Wish I had caught that on tape. A neighbor watched while I got them situated for the night and witnessed this. Can they really sing or is it my imagination?

You could have a mirrored 6x6 run on the alternate side with the pass through being the underside of the coop. That would also give them a bit of cover/shade. Assuming your current coop is 3x4. My rough calculations are the total space will be 84 sq. Of course this also means it will not be movable. So in that case, I would build the new side to max out your allowed 100 sq ft.

I don't think you will be able to keep any size run "growing" grass.

Now this should surely make you laugh. Since the day I got my chickens, I started to sing to them. It always seemed to calm them. It is an old Dean Martin song called That's Amore. They are just over 4 months old and about two weeks ago something changed. They all jumped up on the same perch facing me and started to "sing" along with me. Louder and longer notes than what they usually do. Now they down't always all sit on the perch but a couple will always sing. Wish I had caught that on tape. A neighbor watched while I got them situated for the night and witnessed this. Can they really sing or is it my imagination?
Oh my gosh!! That’s awesome...I have a song for the ducks..I’m goin* to try a song for the chickens too!! Keep singing...obviously they like it! :)

You could have a mirrored 6x6 run on the alternate side with the pass through being the underside of the coop. That would also give them a bit of cover/shade. Assuming your current coop is 3x4. My rough calculations are the total space will be 84 sq. Of course this also means it will not be movable. So in that case, I would build the new side to max out your allowed 100 sq ft.

I absolutely love the mirrored idea with the coop tunnel!! Brilliant. I hope that idea helps you. If your current set up is movable now then you can decide if it might work in a better spot.
As for the grass, make them a garden inside the run. Make a “window frame” out of 2X4s with the flat side facing forward. Lay it right on top of the chicken run garden and cover it with chicken wire. If it is large you may want something underneath to support the wire a bit. It can sag some but you just don’t want the chickens to be able to scratch up theroots. I used an old bunk bed frame and the slats support the wire. I used hardware cloth because it was on hand, so, free. You can also plant something taller and surround it with a chicken wire cage. As leaves grow tall and wide they will poke through enough to be nibbled by your birds. Just remember to watch for sharp wire edges. When I made the bed frame garden I made the wire larger than the frame, put the wire on the ground, put the frame on top, wrapped the wire edges up and around the frame where I fastened it on what would be the bottom of the garden frame once I flipped it over. You can actually use anything for a frame as long as it is too heavy for chickens to move. That’s most things LOL. A hula hoop wouldn’t work:lau A window frame would. A bottomless bucket buried, leaving about 2 inches showing, would. An old ladder would be ideal! Just use your imagination.
have fun!

I absolutely love the mirrored idea with the coop tunnel!! Brilliant. I hope that idea helps you. If your current set up is movable now then you can decide if it might work in a better spot.
As for the grass, make them a garden inside the run. Make a “window frame” out of 2X4s with the flat side facing forward. Lay it right on top of the chicken run garden and cover it with chicken wire. If it is large you may want something underneath to support the wire a bit. It can sag some but you just don’t want the chickens to be able to scratch up theroots. I used an old bunk bed frame and the slats support the wire. I used hardware cloth because it was on hand, so, free. You can also plant something taller and surround it with a chicken wire cage. As leaves grow tall and wide they will poke through enough to be nibbled by your birds. Just remember to watch for sharp wire edges. When I made the bed frame garden I made the wire larger than the frame, put the wire on the ground, put the frame on top, wrapped the wire edges up and around the frame where I fastened it on what would be the bottom of the garden frame once I flipped it over. You can actually use anything for a frame as long as it is too heavy for chickens to move. That’s most things LOL. A hula hoop wouldn’t work:lau A window frame would. A bottomless bucket buried, leaving about 2 inches showing, would. An old ladder would be ideal! Just use your imagination.
have fun!
I heard about the grass garden before with the chicken wire on top and it would be a great way to use that old wooden ladder. I think I will use one section of the run to open up and attach the larger run. It would still have to be as tall so I can get in there and clean it. Someday it will all be done. When it was first built, a ramp was made and just thrown in there. Recently, I made the final one. The new one was painted so it would clean easier and while the paint was still wet I threw some fine play sand on it. It gives the chickens a nonskid ramp and is easier to rinse off. Thanks for all your great help.

Back
Top Bottom