Coop Advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by revans2003, Dec 10, 2015.

1. revans2003

revans2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015
    Hello All!

As I finish enclosing my duck yard, I needed a little advice on Coops. I know how to build them and I know what design i am leaning towards but I just need a bit of guidance. Since these coops will be within the enclosed yard, predator protection is not an issue. [​IMG]

Do all the duckies need is an enclosed space to feel safe? They will have food and water in the run so I was thinking about building a small enclosed space (with bedding) for them to go into to...lay eggs? or just feel better with a roof over there heads? or? [​IMG]

Some farms I have visited just have a run and no real coop, is this ok? I would think the ducks might like somewhere to hang there bills and put up there feet at night. Not that it ever gets too cold here but I could even provide some heat if it gets really cold. [​IMG]

Does having a coop vs not affect egg production?[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Not having a coop may not affect egg production, but it will affect how clean the eggs are. Where ever you live I think its better for them to have a coop for shelter if they want it.

3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I think if your run is safe, you just need to provide them with a place it get out of the wind and bad weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by