Coop and bedding recommendations.

JoBean1987

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Wildwood Alberta Canada
Hello all. I know it gets posted on here a lot I'm just having a hard time finding the information I need. I have 35 hens and 8 roosters (yes I know I have to many roosters) and every design I've found is made for a small flock. I'm looking for suggestions for a good design for my girls and boys. I need to build a new coop that will work better for them that's better suited for them but will still keep them warm during the cold winter months.

My coop now is 8x16 and devided in half with a door between but it doesn't seem to matter what I do I can't keep it dry I'm on a budget so I can't afford nothing expensive. I tried straw and pine shaving and it's just not doing the trick.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hello all. I know it gets posted on here a lot I'm just having a hard time finding the information I need. I have 35 hens and 8 roosters (yes I know I have to many roosters) and every design I've found is made for a small flock. I'm looking for suggestions for a good design for my girls and boys. I need to build a new coop that will work better for them that's better suited for them but will still keep them warm during the cold winter months.

My coop now is 8x16 and devided in half with a door between but it doesn't seem to matter what I do I can't keep it dry I'm on a budget so I can't afford nothing expensive. I tried straw and pine shaving and it's just not doing the trick.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
What is making it wet?

We have developed our own "deep litter" method. It starts with a layer of un-treated mulch supplied by the local electric companies trimmings. This acts as a drainage layer with lots of air space that is hard to compact fully. Then add layer upon layer of leaves collected from the yard.
By the way when you clean the floors out the compost is awesome. I just posted pictures a few days ago on this subject.

Back
Top Bottom