Coop and Daytime Tractor question

1K18

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
I was going to build a tractor with attached coop, and then use part of my shed as the coop in the winter. However, my sweet little wife would like to have the chickens in the shed during the night, and take the chickens from the coop to the tractor each morning and back each night.

So the question is: Does anyone do this? Will the chickens follow you willingly to the tractor and back? Is this going to be a much bigger pain than it's worth?

At most, the tractor will be about 100 yards from the coop. The chickens are Black Australorps and Easter Eggers.

I have a coop and a tractor. I do what your wife is wanting to do. I pick up some of my chickens, carry them to the tractor, leave them all day to forage and then pick them back up and carry them to the coop. That is the safest way for me to take them to and from. We have dogs. I really like my coop. I feel my chickens are much safer all locked up inside at night. The tractor is great too but I don't think I will ever leave my chickens in it over night. A lot of people do though. Mines just not preditor proof enough. If you build yours like fort knox then it would be ok to leave them in there. It's really a matter of choice and safety.

Back
Top Bottom