1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Coop and flock size problem

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by homestead 101, Jan 30, 2017.

1. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    I have a 4x6 coop and a 16x16 run. With 11 chickens, and soon to be 16. They have plenty of roost space, it's well ventilated, and I clean it on a regular bases. I know the run is big enough but the coop is a bit small. Would it work if I made the run bigger. I can't make the coop any bigger. They are happy and healthy and get supervised free range time once in a while.

There is 8 bovan hens, 1 R.I.R., and a little white bantam. And finally a really protective but not agrassive Americana rooster.

I am planning on getting 3 coucoo marans, 1 silver layced wyodotte, and a golden layced Wyandotte.

I can make the run bigger but not the coop. They look happy and healthy. I feed them well.

Is this to small for 16 chickens, and what would be the max amount.

[​IMG]

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi there homestead 101 just my humble opinion but no, I do not think the coop will work for 16. I have to admit I am surprised it works for 11 and you do not have issues with boredom, stress, feather picking etc.

General rule of thumb is that you need 4 square foot of coop space for each bird and 10 square foot of run.

3. homestead 101

Jan 31, 2016
    Would. U say the run is a good sign ze

4. homestead 101

Jan 31, 2016
    Would u say the run is a good size

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The run is fine, but how on earth did you fit enough roosting space for 11 in such a small coop? You should have at least 1 linear foot per bird. Roosting time must be pretty chaotic. And no, that coop is not well ventilated. You are already well over capacity in that coop. I would not add more birds till you have something much larger. Introducing new birds to a flock requires a lot of space.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Please don't put more birds in that coop.

7. PapaBear4

PapaBear4 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Maryland
    Ha! I had a similar setup but with a smaller run for a few years. I think I also had 11 hens in mine for a bit and they seemed content. If you're able to keep up with the bedding in the coop and they seem healthy to you, keep going with it. There's no substitute for observation. Though I agree that your coop would benefit from more ventilation. I keep my birds around 2 sq ft per bird in the coop, but have been as low as about 1.7 for periods of a few weeks. Goes to show that there's a range of opinions on that topic.

Could you do 16? Yes, but I don't think it'd last for long. That's almost 50% more poop every night = 50% more bedding work. And the added population pressure will also increase stress and decrease flock health (= less eggs). Then you will probably lose a few hens to various issues. Then you're back to where you started (hens & eggs), or even less. I guess all I'm trying to convey is that if you decide to move forward with 16 hens, have a plan to not stay that way, because it won't stay that way.

Good luck to you! Check back in and let us know how it all came out!

PapaBear

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by