Coop and run 90% complete next step

Chumlord

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
As the title suggests we are just about ready to take the next step which is getting our chickens. We have decided to go with pullets for ease and I have a few questions... What material for inside the coop and inside nesting boxes, hay, wood chips, pines straw? What about the run currently it simply has grass. How do I get the chickens home, crate, cat carrier, cardboard box??? What about feed and grit???

Any help is appreciated.

You have many choices to make. I would recommend reading up in the feed and watering section and also the coop and run section to give you lots of valuable info. It is really helpful to have this information already here for your benefit. Chickens are great and there are many ways of doing the same thing.

Wish ya the best.

Planning our 1st flock for spring 2014 so i'm probably behind the curve even more than you but here is my plan for the spring (based on the research and reading of books done to date - yes, i'm dreaming chickens at this point. fyi - my coop is to be based on the Wichita Cabin to give you some reference.
1. Coop run - river sand.
2. Hen house roost area - river sand.
3. Nesting boxes - shredded paper.

I'm going to still listen/read until my coop is built but right now those are my plans. -Sam

I am a newbie, since March, but I've already discovered a few things. Straw is smelly for the coop floor. I personally love sand under tbe roosts and pine shavings everywhere else. You can scoop out the poop often without too much buildup in the compost pile. I like freshly mowed grass in the nestboxes. I read books ahead of time, but the best advice has come from this site. Keep everything simple in your coop, because you have to clean everything! Good luck and enjoy!

You have many choices to make. I would recommend reading up in the feed and watering section and also the coop and run section to give you lots of valuable info. It is really helpful to have this information already here for your benefit. Chickens are great and there are many ways of doing the same thing.

Wish ya the best.

X2. Everyone has their own preference, you'll have to decide what works best for you in the coop. Takes a bit of trail and error of different methods until you find what works best for you.

For your run, let them go at it until the grass starts to get torn up. Once you start to see some bare spots add leaves, pine straw, grass clippings, straw or whatever else, a bit at a time. This will help to keep the ground covered so you don't end up with a muddy smelly mess. If you need to, turn the pile once in a while with a pitch fork to keep it all mixed up. Rake it out once a year and compost. Read more here.

You can bring them home in whatever you can come up with. Just keep their feet from sliding around to prevent injuries (set a towel down in your box) and IMO keeping whatever you use covered helps to reduce stress.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom