Coop and run completed - any additional ideas?

KeriannG

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
Maryland
Finally finished my coop and run. We spend our summer on a farm with the chickens happily free ranging all day. However when it is time for back to school we all travel home to suburbia where unfortunately my chickens have to be in a run. With the space I have I tried to make it as nice/fun as possible for the girls. So far they have all settled nicely (6 bsl). I appreciate any additional suggestions! I feel the guilt
1f633.png

The 'back alley' with the chicken door that leads to the run. Below the chicken door they also have access to the underneath of the coop which is raised off the ground. Great for rainy days.

The raised sand boxes which the chickens love. The 2x4 supports down the middle make great roosts! The top of the run, on the sand box sections, are covered with plexiglass to keep them dry in the rain.

frow.gif
Your coop and run look very nice and your chickens look quite happy. Looks to me like you are doing a great job! And, welcome to BYC.

Looks pretty good to me.....lose the guilt, they'll get over being confined......that's a fine habitat.

What is your climate/location?

We are in Maryland right outside of DC. Do you think I should put a roof over the run so they will have access when it rains. Can't make up my mind and not sure how chickens like the rain? Also the run is 16 x 5, not including the back alley which is about 2.5 x 16 and the underneath is about 8 x 8. Home Depot has this clear roofing material that I thought would be cool so it does not block the sun as the run already has so much shade. https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...X&ved=0ahUKEwif4v6S34zPAhWDND4KHeTaADIQrRIINw

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:
Thank you. The sand boxes are trays used to mix concrete - available at any big box hardware store. Inexpensive and sturdy.

Looks nice - I would cover the run if you can - drier is better and less smelly. Couldn't tell from the picture, but do you have a hardware cloth skirt around the bottom to keep out digging predators?

Thank you. There is hardware cloth around the perimeter and everywhere else imaginable. I went overboard - better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom