Coop and run questions

VampKat

In the Brooder
May 10, 2023
Virginia
Quick question! I got my coop today (very excited, it's beautiful!) and I'm wondering if I connect and fully predator proof the run, will I need to close the coop up at night or can I let them go in and out as they like? I'm an insomniac and the coop I got doesn't have a door that's easily modified to put in an automatic door. I plan on making my run 100% with 1/4 hardwire cloth with a foot long skirt nailed down all around. I have silkies and I know they tend to prefer ground roosting and might want to sleep in the run on hotter nights. I'm in northern Virginia. I'm gonna cover the whole run so it wouldn't rain in besides windy rain. Opinions?

Quick question! I got my coop today (very excited, it's beautiful!) and I'm wondering if I connect and fully predator proof the run, will I need to close the coop up at night or can I let them go in and out as they like? I'm an insomniac and the coop I got doesn't have a door that's easily modified to put in an automatic door. I plan on making my run 100% with 1/4 hardwire cloth with a foot long skirt nailed down all around. I have silkies and I know they tend to prefer ground roosting and might want to sleep in the run on hotter nights. I'm in northern Virginia. I'm gonna cover the whole run so it wouldn't rain in besides windy rain. Opinions?
Yes, if the run is completely predator proof you do not need to close the door between the coop and run. That is the way my setup is.
However, 1/4" hardware cloth is very flimsy and can be easily torn through by larger predators like dogs, fox or coyote. Consider using 1/2" hardware cloth instead. If you really want to sleep well at night you can wrap your setup in hot wires.

Aha! Thank you for warning me! Glad I overbought. I ended up on 1/2 inch hardware cloth and I planned on doing it across and up the sides to deter snakes and such, now I'll know to go the extra mile out too.

Back
Top Bottom