Coop anniversary, design flaws & modifications

So I just went out and locked them up for the night. No one has gotten up on the fiberglass sheet. I will leave it there for a few days and see if that does the trick. If it works, I can just cut it to fit the lids and screw it on without having to remove the lids or cut anything up!!!

So I just went out and locked them up for the night. No one has gotten up on the fiberglass sheet. I will leave it there for a few days and see if that does the trick. If it works, I can just cut it to fit the lids and screw it on without having to remove the lids or cut anything up!!!

If it works let us know. I know others are battling stubborn birds.

I never heard of bird spikes before. I wonder if I could still open the lids with those on there?? Seems like it sure would keep them off. LOL!!!

Really, never? I feel like they are all over the place, mostly on public buildings above doorways and gas pumps to stop birds like pigeons from roosting/nesting there and pooping all over customers. Look up next time you get gas or go grocery shopping ;) You'd probably have to play with positioning so that you get it right and can still open the hatch easily to do what you need to do, or just have them hooked on a nail at each end so you can lift them off to open the hatch. Good luck with your mission, chickens can be stubborn!

I must lead a sheltered life cause I have never noticed anything like this. I will start looking up from now on. LOL!! Thanks. I am hoping my fiberglass panels deter them enough that I won't have to take extreme measures!

I know. No one was up there yet this morning. I have one long piece laying on top of the nest box lids with the ribbing running horizontally, which I think they could still stand on if they chose to. I am planning to attach it with the ribs running vertically and hoping they will slide off if they try to sit up there. I have to clean and repaint the lids first though. Keeping my fingers crossed this works. They have other places they can perch on so maybe this will encourage them to use those. Even if they don't stay off the nest box lids, perhaps the fiberglass will be easier to clean at least.

Back
Top Bottom