Coop arriving early!

The second coop failed miserably for me. I did not know that once fully, 100% integrated...they would all sleep together. Now, I have an overcrowded coop and a chicken playhouse.:th
Mine were divided evenly in the 2 coops - until about a week ago. A couple of nights ago, I had 11 chickens in the 4x6 coop and 3 chickens in the 8x10 coop:barnie
I've started going out a few minutes before dark to direct traffic and hopefully as it heats up, more will voluntarily move back to the large coop! Or I just close off the small coop at night so they all have to sleep in the big one😆

Extra roost space is not a problem. The chickens seem to enjoy having more options, and in hot weather it is really nice if they can spread out to stay cool better.

If it is bigger than the current brooder, it is an improvement!

Honestly, I would not consider a run "necessary" at all with that amount of space, that many chickens, and the style of coop you showed.

More space is always nice, and of course it would be good to add more run space as soon as you can, but the chickens should be fine until you do.
Oooh nice! I can really take my time with the run and make it look just how I want it

Oooh nice! I can really take my time with the run and make it look just how I want it

Yes, but I do recommend you finish the new run before you add any more chickens.

75 square feet for 6 chickens is 12.5 square feet each, which is a reasonable size for a run.
But adding more chickens could quickly make it overcrowded.

Yes, but I do recommend you finish the new run before you add any more chickens.

75 square feet for 6 chickens is 12.5 square feet each, which is a reasonable size for a run.
But adding more chickens could quickly make it overcrowded.
And 12 would be maximum?

Back
Top Bottom