Coop bedding

luckydad

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
Bedford NH
Any suggestions on bedding for the interior of our new coop? We were thinking of doing a mix of straw/shavings. Any input either way is greatly appreciated

Luckydad

Straw and or shavings are costly, smelly and a LOT of work! If you want the best ever bedding, it is by far construction or all purpose sand. I have sand in my coop and in my run. It is sooooooooo easy to clean and maintain. I did a comprehensive blog post on the benefits of sand. I've going on my 3rd year with it, and it's heavenly. Click here to learn more!!

Kelly
✿​
Our Country Chronicles
✿​

welcome-byc.gif
from New Mexico!

Oh...most definitely sand! I use it in the coops, runs, and even the nest boxes! It controls the odor to the point of no smell, it is very easy to clean, soft of the foot pads and helps prevent bumblefoot and it also contains lots of stones for those gizzards! I highly recommend it. If you have access to beach sand, river or arroyo sand, these are free for the most part. You can even go to your local sand and gravel company and they will sell it to you pretty cheaply by the truck load.

Good luck and enjoy the forums!

welcome-byc.gif
from New Mexico!

Oh...most definitely sand! I use it in the coops, runs, and even the nest boxes! It controls the odor to the point of no smell, it is very easy to clean, soft of the foot pads and helps prevent bumblefoot and it also contains lots of stones for those gizzards! I highly recommend it. If you have access to beach sand, river or arroyo sand, these are free for the most part. You can even go to your local sand and gravel company and they will sell it to you pretty cheaply by the truck load.

Good luck and enjoy the forums!
I agree. I'm a big fan of the coarse river sand that I use. I would not be so keen on beach sand, though, as it will contain salt. The chickens definitely pick up bits of hard grit through it, so I'd suggest river sand. Here, we can buy it in bulk, delivered by truck.

Back
Top Bottom