Coop Books

coffeemama

Barista Queen
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Oregono
Does anyone have a coop book that they like? I'm thinking about getting one to get some ideas to modify our coop. I saw this book http://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Coops-Building-Plans-Housing/dp/1580176275
but
some people said negative things about it.
Anyone?
smile.png

I think this is a great book. The negative feedback came from those who purchased the book thinking it would give very explicit plans for building the coops.
The author gives photographs, and also lots of drawings for the coops she shows. There are also particulars for some of the coops featured, ie. measurements, wood sizes, etc.
There is a great section on Joel Salatin's coops, a section on larger coops, and a really wonderful section on small backyard coops.
I loved the book, and found it really a great kick start for building one's hen palace.
smile.png

Carla

I just bought that book from amazon and was quite dissapointed. I would say 70% of the coops they show in it are the same ones found at various places online including a few that are shown on this sites coop ideas. For me it was a complete bust as i found better more detailed information online for free with a simple search on google. Thanks

I bought that book and was also disappointed. It really didn't give any more info than what you can find online. I'm still not happy with any of the plans I've found out there, we're just going to wing it and depend on the advice and experience here and in the coops we've seen in the wild.
smile.png

If I'd paid money for the book (I had it out of the library, instead) I would have been pretty disappointed unless I did not have computer access. As others have said, you can do better with BYC and google. OTOH a book is handier to curl up with underneath a coupla cats on the sofa, so there is that.

Pat

I am one of those ppl that tries to check it out from the library first. I am cheap when it comes to buying books
lol.png
Thanks for the feedback-I guess I know I can find stuff online, but sometimes it's nice to sit on the sofa and look through a book
tongue.png

I borrowed this book from the library and am, also, glad I did not purchase it. I just got chicks for the first time last spring. We built a coop from scratch gathering information online and from a couple of books we have on hand "Stoery's Guide to Raising Chickens", "Living with Chickens" and "Free-Range Poultry".

We are now buying a house and will be building a new coop, that is why I got the coop book from the library. It did not have any information I had not already come across and most of the coops I have seen before. There are pretty pictures, which I always enjoy, but again those can be seen online.

Basically, I suggest borrowing from library or friend. While I am at it, the book critic that I am
smile.png
, I would not recommend the "Free-Range Poultry" book. It cost something like $40 and does not have any information you can not find in less expensive books and online. The web is a wonderful thing!

Type this ISBN # into Amazon, and see what you think:

978-1-58017-627-9

Just type the # into the search box on the homepage

Back
Top Bottom