Coop boots/cleaning/biosecurity

56Chicks

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2020
Hello all,

I was wondering what you all would use to sanitize boots and other chicken supplies now that it can be difficult to find and purchase disinfectants, from bleach to poultry-specific solutions...?

I am relatively new to my current property and cannot be sure what has been in and around my coop and run area (they have not been used yet because my chicks are still in the brooder), and I was planning to clean out the new coop just in case. I did dig up a few inches of soil but would like to wipe down the inside of my coop with something effective.

Thank you!

How long have the coops been empty? If it is quite a while, the parasites will have naturally died off. A would recommend a good broom, and fresh bedding.

I think you might do better to scoop a little dirt from the set up, and put it in the brooder. Ridgerunner recommends that, so I did this time. A small exposure gets their immune up and running. I put mine in Sunday, and still very healthy.

My run/coop had been empty for about 2 months. I did not have any known sickness in there. But I have never washed a coop with any disinfectant.

Mrs K

I am relatively new to my current property and cannot be sure what has been in and around my coop and run area
How long is "relatively new"?
Do you know if the previous owners had birds in there right before they moved....or....?
What kind of shape is the coop in, was it filthy with inches of dried poop built up inside...or...?

What exactly are your concerns?
I change my coop shoes right inside the door, also wipe them on the grass and check for any large 'attachments' that I might have not been able to miss stepping on. Smoother soled shoes make this pretty easy.
I never wear my coop shoes out in public, especially at the farm store or local feed mill.

Simple good hygiene, washing hands, etc, should keep you safe.

Back
Top Bottom