Coop Build for my daughter

Are there pros and cons to installing them onto the framing or onto the siding other than the extra work of cutting the siding?

I checked out your build thread and really like your design!

Technically your windows are designed to have siding run to the window, thats why there's that gap between the flange and face of the window.

Mine are flush mount windows and don't have that gap.

You could do yours either way. The important thing to remember is to apply proper quality silicone in the appropriate areas before you mount and also once you've trimmed out the window.

Technically your windows are designed to have siding run to the window, thats why there's that gap between the flange and face of the window.

Mine are flush mount windows and don't have that gap.

You could do yours either way. The important thing to remember is to apply proper quality silicone in the appropriate areas before you mount and also once you've trimmed out the window.
Ok, that makes sense. Can you elaborate on where the appropriate areas for the silicone are? I was going to run a bead the whole way around under the flange, except for two gaps on the bottom for any water to escape. Is that right? Where does it go for the trim?

Ok, that makes sense. Can you elaborate on where the appropriate areas for the silicone are? I was going to run a bead the whole way around under the flange, except for two gaps on the bottom for any water to escape. Is that right? Where does it go for the trim?

Correct on the window.

For the trim you want a bead where the trim touches the window and on the side where it touches the siding.

I usually will also wipe a little where the trim meets at the joints (miter/butt).

I'm a software engineer that spends my days at a computer. I had an addition added on to my house a few years ago as a small apartment for my mother. I watched my contractor very closely and asked so many questions he was probably sick of me, but it did give me a basic understanding of how a building goes together. Taking that head knowledge and adding it to all I have read here on various coop build threads, plus YouTube videos, has helped me build what you see in this thread. I don't like to think about the entire project, but instead each small step, otherwise it is overwhelming! That said, I am already thinking about building a little garden shed for my Mom's garden tools when the coop is done!

:)

I know a lot of people who work in computers, software, and IT and almost all of them are great problem solvers and methodical about developing new skills. :)

My daughter begged me to get pet chickens this past spring so we now have 4 silkie bantams. After realizing that the prefab coop I bought is way too small I decided to build one with enough space to add some egg layers next year. I must say I didnt think the chickens would grow on me as much as they have. I hope to get the coop done before winter, and in the spring I will add covered run.

The coop is a combination shed/coop and is 8 x 12. The shed portion is 4x8 and the coop 8x8. I have two 24 x 30 inch windows in the long sides and one 36 x 24 window in the shed portion. I am using Sketchup 2017 (the free version) to plan things out and it has been a huge help in catching mistakes and thinking about how things will go together. Here is a rough vision of what I am trying to build.
View attachment 3265484

View attachment 3265485

My yard is on a slope so I leveled it out with concrete blocks. Making a gravel pad was way out of my price range. So far I only have the floor done, but it is level and was a huge step for my confidence! This week I will be working on assembling the trusses.
View attachment 3265489
After many hours of digging and adjusting the blocks to get the basic frame level, I added 4x4 skids. Then I enlisted the help of Grama(70), Son (12), Daughter (15) to flip the floor over and set the skids on the blocks. It was quite heavy, but we managed to do it. After that I installed the rest of the joists and then the pressured treated 3/4 inch plywood for the floor.
View attachment 3265492

View attachment 3265493

View attachment 3265494

I did have a helper that kept showing up too!

View attachment 3265491

This is my first time trying to build anything substantial so I am learning as I go. These forums have been a tremendous help!
Wow! This looks so good. I love your design and proportions. Have you shared more of your build? I would love to see it and your finished plans if you wanted to share them. I'm also thinking of getting silkies, but I am still researching to learn all of their needs.

Back
Top Bottom