Coop build: window installation question

chickity-chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Hi everyone! So I’m building a coop and I bought the 60$ storm windows from Home Depot that get nailed/screwed into the framing. I looked up windows and I’m getting all this stuff about flashing and silicone caulk and drippers? Do I need all this stuff? How should I install them so there is not leaking? Thank you!

If you aren't going to do it right...

Sorry. Windows are a {explicative}. If you are going to do it fast and dirty, get some good tape whose appearance is not to offensive to you. Black butyl sealing tape or the foil backed stuff. Wrap the tape around the edges of your window cut out - that will protect them from moisture intrusion. Slip in your window, and nail up the flanges. Now tape again, up both sides, THEN the top, so it overlaps the top edge of the tape on the sides. No tape on the bottom. Its ugly, but it works - and it leaves a straight edge.

Now cover with trim if desired. The whole idea is to keep water on the "outside" and give a way for water that gets in to get back out. By ensuring that your overlaps are topwards of one another, you greatly reduce the chances that water rushing downhill will get between/under layers.

If you aren't going to do it right...

Sorry. Windows are a {explicative}. If you are going to do it fast and dirty, get some good tape whose appearance is not to offensive to you. Black butyl sealing tape or the foil backed stuff. Wrap the tape around the edges of your window cut out - that will protect them from moisture intrusion. Slip in your window, and nail up the flanges. Now tape again, up both sides, THEN the top, so it overlaps the top edge of the tape on the sides. No tape on the bottom. Its ugly, but it works - and it leaves a straight edge.

Now cover with trim if desired. The whole idea is to keep water on the "outside" and give a way for water that gets in to get back out. By ensuring that your overlaps are topwards of one another, you greatly reduce the chances that water rushing downhill will get between/under layers.
Thank you so much!!

Hi everyone! So I’m building a coop and I bought the 60$ storm windows from Home Depot that get nailed/screwed into the framing. I looked up windows and I’m getting all this stuff about flashing and silicone caulk and drippers? Do I need all this stuff? How should I install them so there is not leaking? Thank you!
Show us the windows and your coop.....for more detailed solutions.

Back
Top Bottom