Coop cleaning??

IT depends. During the warmer months, I clean weekly, and empty it out completely and put in new shavings. During the winter, we use the deep litter method, which gets cleaned out when it thaws. Some use DLM all year long. I just can't do it.

When it needs it. Sometimes I want the mulch for flower beds or something so clean it entirely. Mostly just rake and shovel out until the bedding looks clean and add more every few weeks. This summer with only 4 hens probably even be 3 weeks.

Quote:
I cannot clean my coop , more often than I clean the house. The DH would eventually catch onto to that one !
lol.png

everyday i scoop out the big night droppings. sometimes depending on the mess, i add a bit more shavings.

when the weather is real nice, they are only in the coops to sleep and lay us eggs. so its pretty clean.

in the winter time i use the deep litter method, and i still use the scoop big poops out once a day.

smile.png

I scrape the floor it is pavers 4x8 space. I scrape the poop board in the enclosure above. I do this everyday and give fresh
water. It takes about 10 minutes. I do have pine shavings in the enclosure with their roost but all the poop is on the board.
They are out in the run eating their treat when I do this.

I clean up the droppings from the night as that helps with lengthening the time between major cleans. I will wash down the entire shed once a month in the summer. I use pine shaving in the shed and straw out in the run.Might do wood chips in the run,and make those covered salad bars I saw in another thread.

Thanks for all your great help. My peeps aren't out yet. and the coop is in 2nd stage of being finished.
I think tiding up every day is a good way to go and a good clean up 1x a month I have 6 girls and my hen house is no where as big as yours.
So I think its your choice:).

Back
Top Bottom