Coop cleaning

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LN2008, Oct 15, 2011.

1. LN2008

LN2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    Hey! I need advice. I built my coop to be about three feet off the ground, on stilts if you will. I see that type of coop all over this board. I'm just wondering, how do you get in there to clean???? I have the hardest time doing it. I get about half way in and then I get stuck. Granted, I am almost six feet tall but.. yah know. Anyone have any tricks?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    What type of cleaning do u do?

I have hay bedding in my raised coop, so I have to get in to remove the old hay, clean the roosts and clean the walls. I get a milk crate or chair and step in on the boards that are running on the side of the coop and the boards that are running across (about 1 or 1 1/2 foot spaced between them. I just bend down and pick up the hay and throw it out into the wheel barrow that I place on the side by the door or I will just throw it near the door until all hay is removed. Then I step on the cross boards to get out and step on the milk crate and then step on the ground. To clean the roosts, I do the same thing to enter and then I scrape the poo off of the roosts if there are any. I also wipe down the walls while in there.

It's not the best method but it works. When I first wanted the coop built, I explained to the person that I wanted a secure "trap" floor for cleaning purposes and this is why I wanted a floor that I could unlatch and drop down so I could easily remove all poop and hay. They laughed at me when I told them my idea. Now they understand why I wanted a drop down floor. Next open air raised coop will have a floor that i can unlatch to drop all bedding on the ground.

3. chezpoulet

chezpoulet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Redmond WA
    I just finished cleaning out my 4x4 coop today. The human door is 3 1/2 feet wide, taking one side of the coop, and the nest boxes open from the outside , so clearing the pine bedding from the floor of the coop and nest boxes is easy- using a dustpan as a scoop, and empting the bedding into a trashcan. I actually prefer the coop raised as the floor is at waist level for me - I am 5'4. The only challenging part of doing a thorough clean is scrubbing the walls. I swept the floor, vacumned all the dust and bits of debris that are still left, used soap with a little bleach and wiped down all surfaces using a washcloth, and then rinsed it with water, THEN I half get into the coop reclining on the coop floor which is now really clean (linoleum) (yeah, at this point what is a lttle head to roost contact- just plan for a shower after ) while I finish scrubbing and rinsing the walls. By the time I was done this afternoon, the coop looked liked new ! Maybe a sponge mop/scrubber (with a long handle) will help, if you can't physically get into the coop?

4. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    I have a chicken tractor you can see on my page and on one side of the coop the lower half of the wall is a door I pull up and keep open with a hook and chain. My girls have been very neat and only seem to poo poo in one area of the coop. I put on some disposable gloves and grab the area of hay and shavings that is covered and toss it into a bucket. I take a rake and churn the other hay and shavings, add more, sprinkle a little DE and close it back up. I only do this about once a week.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I usually scoop out the top dirty area under roosts then add few more shavings for maintenance, and change the straw in external access nest boxes. For a deep clean twice a year I use a short handled square shovel and a hoe to pull the pine shaving toward me. Then hose out pushing remaining chips to corner with hole.

6. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    As you can see, my coop is also off the ground and it is 8ft X 4ft. The two square doors you see in the back are my access doors and from those I can reach anywhere into the coop to clean.

[​IMG]

7. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    A few things come to mind:

1. shorten the hen house. 3 feet off the ground is pretty darn high
    2. put those cinder blocks to use and use em as a steppin stool so you can reach all the way in there
    3. build some roosts so your birds roost n poop in the same spot

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by