Coop close to neighbours house

Not really the same since you have chickens involved, but I know two people close to me that kinda have to put up with this. My neighbors did this with the compost pit, putting it right up against our property line, and another has cars and rvs that their neighbor put on their property line blocking their view from their living room windows.

Personally if I were the coop owner and someone came calmly and spoke with me about it, I'd be willing to cooperate. Is probably ask for help moving it, (you knoe, physically moving it, catching the chickebs, collecting my bowls and stuff, that kinda thing) but if be much more likely to be willing if it was brought to my attention before I suddenly had tickets and notices sent to me

I'm in an eerily similar situation except I'm the chicken owner and neighbors have their house for sale, so I'll give you my perspective.

We have a very wonky shaped yard and property line, so we put our coop where it would be most accessible to us without being right next to our house as law dictates that the coop be 10' from a structure (including neighbors, tho 10' can still seem super close) and our only other available corner that meets that requirement is a dedicated garden bed.

The location also had advantages such as natural shade, level ground and we have a good view of it from our back door and patio so we can chicken watch.

Your new neighbors might not have been so nefarious to try and keep their loud birds away from them and create a problem for someone else. BUT being a chicken owner means being a good steward to neighbors too.

As stated by others, first step should be to see if their setup is legal. If it isn't, don't Lord it over them as a threat, but as a way to open up dialog. Most peeps are happy to find a common solution and you might even end up with some tasty eggs and some feathered friends out of it. A little grace from both sides goes a loooong way (my neighbors are particularly saints while we deal with our new rooster finding his voice).
Good advice, thanks

Not really the same since you have chickens involved, but I know two people close to me that kinda have to put up with this. My neighbors did this with the compost pit, putting it right up against our property line, and another has cars and rvs that their neighbor put on their property line blocking their view from their living room windows.

Personally if I were the coop owner and someone came calmly and spoke with me about it, I'd be willing to cooperate. Is probably ask for help moving it, (you knoe, physically moving it, catching the chickebs, collecting my bowls and stuff, that kinda thing) but if be much more likely to be willing if it was brought to my attention before I suddenly had tickets and notices sent to me
Thanks , good advice

The coop should fairly be at the very least an equal distance between both of your homes, if not closer to the owner's home. If you're really cool with chickens, I hope you can work it out. Thanks for bringing up the discussion, lots of useful information and suggestions in this thread.
Thanks, yes, cool with chickens, just want to feel that the arrangement is fair

Back
Top Bottom