Coop Colors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zahboo, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am horrible at picking colors. Can you guys post pictures of your exterior and the brand and name of the paint [​IMG] Thanks.

2. dragonchick

dragonchick Songster

Sep 30, 2007
    Coop colors can be any color you want or like. Some are even just plain wood as the chickens really have no preference. I use white as it seems to reflect the heat of the sun a bit better than dark colors. Paint, siding, stain and the like are really only to protect the wood from element damage. What color is your house? you could paint the coop in colors to match it. I do not go out and buy a "special" paint for my coop but use whatever cheap paint I can find, usually mismixed from the home center or even the stuff from yard sales. It doesn't really even matter if its all one color or a circus style of many. Just find a color that you like and go with it. If you like chartreuse and purple, that will be fine and festive looking.

3. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Songster

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    Barn Red and white are my choices. Under 20 bucks a gallon at Lowes.

4. burquechick

burquechick Songster

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Unpainted here. Just coated with a bit of linseed oil.

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

The outside of my coops are tan (color name is clay) with burgundy trim to match our house and pole building. I get more creative with the insides ~ one is yellow with navy trim and the other is pale blue with white trim.

6. emys

emys Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Look for $5 gallon of "mistake" (some employee mixed wrong color) paint at the hardware store.

7. Anguissette

Anguissette Songster

Jan 31, 2010
    Eastern NC
    Yep, "opps" paint from Lowe's is my favorite way to get paint!

8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Iced Melon...Lowe's about $25

9. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Songster

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know if I posted the photos correctly. It's my first time to put one in a post!
    My husband is great with colors. I give him an inkling of what I like and he fine tunes it.

We went with an old-timey turquoise for our coop. I think it's cute [​IMG]

10. emys

emys Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Of course, if you want to spend the money, you can take anything into the stores these days and get it color matched. So, if you see a color you like in a magazine, or have a swatch of fabric you like, you can take the magazine or the fabric in and they will scan it into the computer and match that color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by