Coop design: dirt or raised floor?

twoacresofhappy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Georgia, USA
I need to expand my coop and I'm trying to decide between adding more space to (expanding) the raised-floor coop, or just creating a sort of super-safe covered portion of their run. We have about 20 chickens (and 7 babies who will be joining them eventually) in a 7.5'x7.5' coop. The coop is located in the corner of their 30x40 run, and they free-range over 2 fenced acres for over half the day. Unfortunately, there was nowhere on my property where I could have sited the run and provided natural shade, so their coop and run is in full sun all day long; the run isn't covered except with netting (I'd like to cover with shade cloth eventually). I know they need to have increased roosting and moving-around space, but I'm wondering if, instead of increasing the size of a fully-enclosed coop with a raised floor, perhaps I could just section off a portion of their run and create a covered, super-secure area that is adjacent to, and always open to, their coop. If I were to do that, what is the best way to predator-proof a dirt-floor coop/run area? Another option would be to create a second small coop near the first and perhaps let the shared space between them be open to both. Primarily, I'm looking for a safe covered area in the event of rain that would give them room to move around comfortably, and also provide additional roosting space at night.

Cost is absolutely a consideration, and the closest electrical outlet is about 150' from the coop, so I don't think I can easily string hot wire around any section of it.

I really wanted to build a fully separate, new 10x12 coop, but it is just cost-prohibitive right now. Several people suggested hoop coops, and I kinda like them, but I'd be worried about high winds especially during hurricane season.

I have a "sometimes" LGD. She's older, though, and doesn't spend as much time outside in the heat of the summer. I'm hoping to get another pyr or maybe an anatolian/pyr cross sometime soon.

I have always had dirt floor coops, by preference. They just need to be built up a bit so that they drain well in heavy rain. You can predator proof by running the fence straight down below ground about a foot or by laying an apron alongside the outside of the fence, but it must be securely fastened to the bottom of the fence, of curse. In time, the grass hhouldl grow through it so you can mow over it.

We had the same problem with shade, and built a large coop which has 4 sides, but such huge open air areas (half of one wall, all around the top, and more) that they actually use the coop as their shade on the hottest days. The open areas are in the direction of or prevailing winds in this spot, which oddly are north to south, and this along with a box fan creates quite a wind tunnel in there in mid summer.

Here is a link to some open air setups which are ideal for our climate. Perhaps something will give you an idea.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops/0_20

Thank you, Judy! That link is awesome!

Drainage might be an issue, but perhaps I could build up the floor a bit with some crusher run? I think I will stick with my nearly 8x8 coop for colder winter days, and just have an opening to an open-air, secure coop like so many on that hot weather coop thread. Thank you, thank you!

We built our floor up with dirt. It's worked well, and I'm glad we did it before the coop was built. Not sure what you mean by crusher, but if it is rock, it will eventually sink fown and ou will lose your elevation.

Hmmm..okay, that's good to know. Crusher, I think, is crushed up rock - smaller than pea gravel?

What kind of dirt did you use - just simple fill dirt?

Hmmm..okay, that's good to know. Crusher, I think, is crushed up rock - smaller than pea gravel?

What kind of dirt did you use - just simple fill dirt?

Yep, crusher run is just ground up rock, the sharp kind, but comes in different sizes (think gravel driveway). We have very clayey soil in my area, and compact the 1" sized CR into the soil in horse barns to help with drainage and to "solidify" the dirt in the stalls so they're not squishy with that clay when wet. Whether you would want to use CR just depends on the quality of your soil - you could always come back later with some gravel and a compactor if it ends up too soft.

Thank you, Judy! That link is awesome!

Drainage might be an issue, but perhaps I could build up the floor a bit with some crusher run? I think I will stick with my nearly 8x8 coop for colder winter days, and just have an opening to an open-air, secure coop like so many on that hot weather coop thread. Thank you, thank you!

I think that you are on the right track with adding an open air section onto the existing coop. That is what I did so that it is open air into the run. I add wood panels to the open air side in the Winter to keep out snow and frigid winds. The main coop has a raised wood floor but for the open air section I added free wood pallets to the dirt floor and then scrape wood over top of that along with plenty of deep bedding. The pallets raise the floor up enough to ensure that there is no flooding or chicken digging down to mud areas. I would cover your run with some solid panels or tin sheets when funds allow. This will greatly improve your set-up to keep rains out of the run and provide shade.

Coop to left - Open air addition to the right

The great thing about making an "add on" to the coop is that new chicks can be sectioned off in the new area before it is opened and they can join the flock. Very little stress or conflicts along with additional shelter area and roosting space!

The picture shown has partial pallets but I ended up adding more so that the entire floor area is raised to stay dry during flooding rains.

Yep, crusher run is just ground up rock, the sharp kind, but comes in different sizes (think gravel driveway). We have very clayey soil in my area, and compact the 1" sized CR into the soil in horse barns to help with drainage and to "solidify" the dirt in the stalls so they're not squishy with that clay when wet. Whether you would want to use CR just depends on the quality of your soil - you could always come back later with some gravel and a compactor if it ends up too soft.

We have heavy clay here, too, and it's been very wet. The only thing that concerns me is that it wouldn't really be easy to get a compacter into the covered coop area. Will it compact over time, though?

4 the Birds,

Your pictures are so helpful! We *usually* don't have too many super-cold winter nights, but this last winter was pretty cold for Georgia. I think we dropped below 0F a few times. Do you have a picture of the wood panels you add in the winter? I'm assuming you mean plywood, yes? (I'm just wondering if I'd need to add these, too - I imagine Indiana is a bit colder than Georgia in the wintertime.)

My other question is about your pallets. Don't they rot? We actually have a pallet floor in our coop, but the pallets are on concrete blocks and so they're raised off the ground by about 8-10 inches. I am really intrigued by your suggestion; I'm not sure I'd put the pallets in the whole open side of the coop, but I would definitely do a portion of it.

You've given me a few more ideas, and I am anxious to get started! I am planning to use some tin sheets for the roof - probably the economy sheets unless someone thinks I'll regret it.

Back
Top Bottom