Coop Design Help - updated

Due to the size of the vents, they won't be able to be super high off the floor once the litter reaches 12", but that won't be until the end of the year, so I'm not particularly worried about that. I am open to suggestions there, though!
Sorry, clicked post too soon.

I moved my chickens' roost down about 8 inches for the winter. That way, their heads were a foot lower than the ventilation. Another benefit was that they didn't need much horizontal room when they jumped off the roost. A nice thick layer of bedding gave them a soft landing too. No foot injuries to deal with. I don't think I'll put them back up as high as they were originally, for just that reason.

Ask any questions you need to! :thumbsup This is how you learn, and one of the great things about BYC is the collective knowledge.

Alright, I think I'm finally done. :thDo note that the siding/roofing is not accurate and just there to properly visualize vents, doors, and nest boxes!
My mom was adamant about the entire top section not being open, so I edited that a bit, with the edited ventilation measurements being:

VENTS: frontal: 3.5"x20" (x2) 76"x7"
side: (5'10.5 1'9, 6'2) (x2)

finalsnazzy2(2).png

finalsnazzy2(3).png

finalsnazzy2(4).png

finalsnazzy2(5).png

I've also added a potential idea for roost placement, (subject to change) complete with chicken for scale...

6'8 perches x 2
low 1'4" with filled litter, approx 2' when bedding is at 4"
high 2'4 with filled litter, approx 3' when bedding is at 4"
approx 1'8 apart horizontally

EDIT: I realized that the siding in the front doesn't entirely cover the right window, but we're going to pretend it does.

I completely forgot to account for the front vents when placing the higher roost last night - is it alright for them to be the same height?

I completely forgot to account for the front vents when placing the higher roost last night - is it alright for them to be the same height?

If the front vents are summer vents that will be closed in the winter and the rain doesn't blow in then it will be fine.

If it causes a problem later then you can lower the roost. :)

The scale chickens are about 13"tall and 7.5” on one side! I forgot to measure the long side. I clearly haven’t been getting enough sleep.

And this is our barn! We're going to confirm this weekend whether it will go off the front of the barn or the back. I, personally, am leaning towards the back since, although it would take away some paddock space, it would be within existing electric fencing and we wouldn't need to install more. The bonus of the front is that it would have easy access to the area on the right side of the barn, which we would convert into a covered run.
We'll also decide whether it will go on the left or right! (We need to clean up before construction begins, of course.)

181299535_6083575131668229_6602853810405892158_n.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom